No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Questions before I buy it.

By @AlcoholAllergy
    2023-06-24 17:57:19.783Zassigned to
    • @david
    1. Is the device has ATX Control? I mean for turning on/off my PC by using this tinypilot device.
    2. If there is a power outage at my home and it is restored, will this device automatically startup?

Thank you

• 8 replies
    1. David @david2023-06-26 12:24:33.014Z

Hi @AlcoholAllergy, thanks for your questions!

Is the device has ATX Control? I mean for turning on/off my PC by using this tinypilot device.

TinyPilot supports Wake on LAN. This allows you to boot the system from a powered-off state as long as the machine has network connectivity. You can shut down your machine using the same process you would use if you were connected using a mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

If there is a power outage at my home and it is restored, will this device automatically startup?

You can power your device using the included power supply that connects to TinyPilot's USB-C port or via Power over Ethernet on PoE TinyPilot models. If you have a power outage, your TinyPilot will power on once power restores.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1. A@AlcoholAllergy
          2023-06-26 21:19:09.563Z

Hi @david, thanks for helping!
          One more question pls. My Lenovo PC could be turned on by pressing ALT + P on the keyboard. Will it be working the same if I use the remote keyboard with the TinyPilot to turn on my Lenovo PC?

1. David @david2023-06-27 12:04:51.208Z

You're welcome!

My Lenovo PC could be turned on by pressing ALT + P on the keyboard. Will it be working the same if I use the remote keyboard with the TinyPilot to turn on my Lenovo PC?

Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that TinyPilot will work in this situation. However, if you can turn on your Lenovo using any keyboard via a USB hub, TinyPilot should work.

From a quick search on the Lenovo forum, it looks like this ALT + P functionality only works via one specific USB port on the Lenovo PC. So you would have to connect your TinyPilot to this port. TinyPilot presents itself as a USB hub with a mouse and keyboard attached, so there may be an issue here if this port on the Lenovo PC supports only a keyboard. You should be able to test this by connecting a simple USB hub with a mouse and keyboard to your Lenovo's keyboard port.

I hope that helps!

1. A@AlcoholAllergy
                2023-06-28 13:49:06.869Z

Thank you, David! You've been so helpful!

1. In reply todavid:
                  A@AlcoholAllergy
                    2023-06-29 21:30:24.053Z

Hi David,

If the ALT + P to boot the PC function is not working for me with the tinyPilot device. Can I return it? This function is quite important for me, otherwise, the device won't be a useful solution for my using case.
                    Please advise.

Thank you

1. David @david2023-07-03 11:08:15.449Z

When customers have incompatible hardware, our support team works with them to find a fair solution, but we try to avoid sending the device in the first place if it's unlikely to be compatible.

What were the results when you tried connecting an external keyboard to your Lenovo through a USB hub? Does Alt+P wake the PC in that setup?

1. A@AlcoholAllergy
                          2023-07-05 19:02:23.229Z

Unfortunately, the keyboard with a USB hub can't wake the PC, it only works with the keyboard connected directly without the USB hub.

1. David @david2023-07-06 11:22:45.430Z

Thanks for testing that, @AlcoholAllergy. Since TinyPilot acts as a USB hub, I expect it will behave the same as your test. i.e. TinyPilot won't be able to wake your Lenovo with Alt+P, unfortunately.