No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Tinypilot dead after a failed update

By @ord00223
    2023-07-14 02:20:42.673Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi, i tried to update my tinypilot today but it failed with some error( i forgot to take screenshot): tinypilot/privileged/script not found/updated

later i tried to power restart the tinypilot, but it no longer working >>>> The disk activity LED will flash green intermittently as the device runs - my device has no flashing LED light anymore. please help!!! as i will be working overseas again soon! thanks!

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 5 replies
    1. David @david2023-07-14 11:30:59.121Z

Hi @ord00223, I'm sorry that your TinyPilot has stopped working after you tried to update.

Based on the symptoms (a failed update due to file issues and a power cycle), this could be a severe case of filesystem corruption that has left your SD card unbootable.

Could you try re-flashing your SD card with a clean install of TinyPilot and let me know if your device boots?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

ReplySolution
      1. O@ord00223
          2023-07-14 11:43:24.169Z

Hi David, possible to send me the image download link to my email? i cant renew my license for now due to credit card issue, will renew the license once i got my card back.

1. David @david2023-07-14 13:45:14.966Z

No problem at all! I'll reach out to the customer support team and ask them to send you a link to the latest TinyPilot image that you qualify for as a one-time courtesy.

The customer support team should reach out to you soon.

1. O@ord00223
                2023-07-18 05:05:28.412Z

Hi David,

thanks alot. i have tried flashing the sd card and it works fine now.
                may i know what could be the possible root cause? since my driver was read-only enabled for the whole time before i did the update.
                is it due to i try to update after my license expired?

thanks again

1. David @david2023-07-18 11:54:48.638Z

You're welcome! I'm glad you're back up and running again.

It's not easy to pinpoint exactly what caused the filesystem corruption. However, we typically see filesystem corruption during updates where there's more read and write activity on the SD card. Power drops (i.e., unplugging your device to turn it off, or a power outage) can also trigger this kind of filesystem corruption, so I recommend shutting down your TinyPilot by going to System > Power on the TinyPilot web interface and then clicking Shut Down.

Enabling the read-only filesystem is a great way to help increase the lifetime of your SD card. So I'd recommend you enable it again if you haven't already.

I know how frustrating these filesystem corruption issues are. We're working to minimize these failures - the latest TinyPilot update saves over 200 MB of disk writes to the microSD, a 48% decrease from our April release.

is it due to i try to update after my license expired?

No - license expiry has no impact on these filesystem issues.