No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Flask issue when updating using the Webui

By @rkb405
    2023-07-24 20:55:10.915Zassigned to
    • @david

Update returned with a failure, then got the nginx gateway error. Logged in via ssh, verified what services were involved, tinypilot failed with flask error.
    Is there a method to re install from a script when in this state??

• 5 replies
    1. R
      @rkb405
        2023-07-24 21:22:33.582Z

pilot@tinypilot:/var/log/nginx $ ls -l /home/tinypilot/.flask-secret-key
        ls: cannot access '/home/tinypilot/.flask-secret-key': No such file or directory

recreating the keys, does nothing.

1. R
          In reply torkb405:
          @rkb405
            2023-07-24 21:23:41.186Z

I want to fix this without reflashing, this problem seems to be happening quite often.

1. In reply torkb405:
              David @david2023-07-25 11:40:17.624Z

Hi @rkb405, I'm sorry you're running into this issue after updating your TinyPilot.

From your description, this unfortunately sounds like it could be filesystem corruption. Missing files/directories and a failed update are common signs of the issue. I understand that you want to fix this without re-flashing your SD card, so I'll see if there's anything else we can do before I suggest a re-flash.

Since you have SSH access, can you share a TinyPilot log with me to review?

sudo /opt/tinypilot-privileged/collect-debug-logs

The command will collect your logs, but it won’t upload them to TinyPilot’s servers until you confirm. Once you confirm, can you copy the URL and paste it in your reply?

1. R
                In reply torkb405:
                @rkb405
                  2023-07-25 17:45:21.665Z

I already reflashed. I tried to comb through the tinypilot configs and could not find a way to reinstall. I know you guys have to protect your application, but a there needs to be a proper in place repair that can be done while remote, since these things are meant to be installed... .. . .Remote

1. David @david2023-07-26 11:13:10.203Z

Thanks for the update, @rkb405! I'm glad you're back up and running after a re-flash.

I understand how frustrating it is to have to re-flash your SD card - especially if your device is remote.

Unfortunately, filesystem corruption isn't something that's easily fixable since it's difficult to determine the scale of the issue. Re-installing the TinyPilot software likely wouldn't restore functionality for long since the underlying filesystem is causing the issues you experienced.

The problem lies with microSD cards as a storage media. Unfortunately, microSD cards are more vulnerable to filesystem corruption than solid-state drives or hard disks.

The TinyPilot team has been focusing on minimizing these failures. One of the major improvements in TinyPilot 2.6.0 is a reduction in the amount of disk writes during updates to make it less likely you'll experience filesystem corruption. Enabling the read-only filesystem can also help increase the lifespan of your microSD card and help further reduce the risk of filesystem corruption.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues.