No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

VGA adapter not working without forcibly changing "active signal resolution" in Windows

By Aaron @asala
    2023-07-28 17:22:48.301Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi Support,

I'm running into an issue with the VGA adapter, on my test Dell system I'm unable to get the TinyPilot to display when using the VGA adapter at the default resolution the computer attempts to output over VGA (1920 x 1080 60Hz). When I went into Windows and attempted to change the resolution to 1280 x 1024 60Hz I still did not receive a display signal on the TinyPilot. While troubleshooting I discovered that the "active signal resolution" does not change from 1920 x 1080 even when I change the monitors resolution to 1280x1024 60Hz. I'm able to force the active signal resolution to change by changing the refresh rate in Windows to 60.020 Hz (or similar refresh rates). This causes the display to start showing up and working as expected on the TinyPilot

Since this requires changing a windows setting, this also means that I can not see the BIOS on this computer, even after changing the above mentioned setting from within Windows.

Can the TinyPilot be forced to display unsupported resolutions when using the VGA adapter? Even if that means that the colors or framerate of the stream have to be reduced or changed, it should allow me to check bios settings and if needed change the resolution from within Windows.

I have the TinyPilot and test computer here with me so if you need any additional information or would like me to test anything please just let me know.

Thank you,
    Aaron

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2023-07-31 11:30:32.053Z

Hi Aaron, I'm sorry you're running into these issues with your VGA adapter.

It sounds like you're able to force Windows to output a suitable resolution. But these settings don't carry over to the BIOS display settings, so you experience a 'No Signal'.

Can the TinyPilot be forced to display unsupported resolutions when using the VGA adapter?

Unfortunately, it isn't possible for force TinyPilot to display unsupported resolutions. Our supported resolutions FAQ lists the display settings your TinyPilot can display (when using only HDMI or with the VGA adapater).

A potential solution here is to modify the VGA adapter's EDID to remove TinyPilot's unsupported resolutions, but it's a slightly involved process. I wrote a guide to how to do this in another comment. If you change the EDID to remove those unsupported resolutions, the VGA adapter should automatically negotiate a supported resolution instead of requiring you to force one.

Please let me know if you have any questions.