No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

tiny pilot not working - power supply?

By @rble
    2023-08-05 14:13:18.649Zassigned to
    • @david

My tiny pilot has stopped working, Video capture not working, boots up intermittently, fan sounds underpowered. Will a standard USB-C supply work as a replacement or for testing?

• 5 replies
    1. David @david2023-08-07 11:15:43.110Z

Hi @rble, I'm sorry you're having these power issues with your TinyPilot.

Will a standard USB-C supply work as a replacement or for testing?

Maybe - We recommend a 5v/3A adapter to insure that TinyPilot receives enough power. If your other USB-C power supply can't deliver that much power, it may not be able to power your TinyPilot.

If you have a smartphone or a tablet with USB-C, you could try using your TinyPilot's power supply to charge the smartphone. If it doesn't charge the device, that suggests that the power supply is the issue.

If possible, could your try those two configurations and let me know the results?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1. R@rble
          2023-08-07 19:01:11.114Z

I found a "official Raspberry Pi" 5V 3A supply for $8 on Amazon, so I just ordered one. Will take a few weeks to get on-site to test. If that doesn't work, what are the options? Not a Raspberry Pi user, but lots of experience with similar Odroid.

1. David @david2023-08-08 11:23:11.957Z

The official Raspberry Pi 5v/3A power supply should work with your TinyPilot. If your TinyPilot still doesn't receive power correctly, I'd recommend trying a known working USB-C cable and double-checking that your power outlet is working as expected. Testing those factors should confirm that the issues lies with your device, rather than with power delivery.

If your device is the issue, we will happily replace any defective parts in line with our refunds/exchanges policy.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1. R@rble
                2023-10-17 20:22:19.542Z

Have tested the tinypilot with a new power supply and it works well, except for fan. The fan spins OK by hand, but will only run in certain orientations and the speed varies wildly. Need new fan.

1. David @david2023-10-18 11:14:31.330Z

Thanks for the update @rble! I'm glad the new power supply fixed your original issue.

I've let customer support know about your fan issue and they should reach out to you via email to find a solution.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.