No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

How to connect TinyPilot Voyager 2a (non-PoE version) to a KVM switch so I can control multiple PCs?

By Robert S @rsarkes
    2023-08-22 07:24:51.194Z

Hi,

I just purchased the TinyPiloy Voyager 2a (non-PoE version) and I want to somehow use it with my 4-port Tesmart KVM switch so I can have KVM access to multiple PCs that are connected to the Tesmart KVM. I read a few posts on how this can be done but, unfortunately, none of them were clear enough for me to figure our what cables to connect to where, etc.

I am hoping someone who has actually done this would give step-by-step instructions on how this can be done. If it cannot be done, I will return the unit as it won't fit my needs. Thanks in advance for your help and guidance!

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2023-08-22 11:45:32.592Z

Hi @rsarkes, thanks for your question!

Lots of TinyPilot users successfully use a KVM to extend their TinyPilot's functionality. We maintain a wiki of KVM compatibility based on user-submitted information. It looks like a TESmart KVM may have incomplete compatibility with TinyPilot - though TinyPilot's display, mouse, and keyboard seem to work as expected. There are some more details linked in the wiki that may be relevant for you, and compatibility may vary depending on the specific model of KVM you're using.

As for connecting your TinyPilot to your KVM, here's the typical process:

1. Connect your HDMI cable to your TinyPilot's HDMI port.
      2. Connect the other end of your TinyPilot's HDMI cable to your KVM's HDMI "Output" port.
      3. Connect your USB-C-to-USB-A cable to your TinyPilot's "DATA" port.
      4. Connect the USB-A side of your TinyPilot's "DATA" USB cable to your KVM's USB hub port (this port may be labeled as "USB 2.0")
      5. Power your TinyPilot via its "POWER" USB port using the included power supply.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can clarify.