No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Ideas

Three critical improvements needed for the TinyPiloy Voyager 2a...

By Robert S @rsarkes
    2023-08-22 07:28:58.771Z
    1. Being able to set a static IP address or switch to DHCP via TinyPilot's web browser UI. Can't believe this was not thought of. I know it can be done via command line but, come on guys, how hard would it be to add it to the UI?

2. TinyPilot's inability to be easily setup to be accessed over the Internet.

3. Clear step-by-step instructions with screenshots of how to connect it to a KVM switch box in order to control/access multiple computers.

Thank you for your consideration of the above.

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2023-08-22 12:15:50.439Z

Hi @rsarkes, thanks for your suggestions!

We've had some requests for setting a static IP in the web UI in the past. Our FAQ guide is convenient for most users, but I can definitely appreciate how setting a static IP / switching to DHCP on the web interface would be a nicer experience. We already have an open Github ticket for adding that static IP functionality. It's not part of our short-term roadmap yet, but we’re always working to improve TinyPilot’s software and hardware. We prioritize features based on user demand, so we’ll definitely consider your feedback in our planning.

I've added a note to our Github issue to let the team know that you're interested in using the web UI to set a static IP address instead of the command line. You're welcome to subscribe to notifications on the issue if you'd like!

We have guides for setting up internet access using third-party services on our remote access FAQ page . There are separate guides for setting up Tailscale and remote.it. Tailscale takes less than 15 minutes to set up in my experience. It's also possible to set up port forwarding, but we don't recommend port forwarding due to the associated risks.

In terms of a guide for KVM setup, we haven't had many requests for step-by-step instructions like you describe. However, I've created an internal ticket to write a tutorial if we have more demand.

Thanks again for your suggestions!