No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Install wifi adapter driver on host through tinyp?

By @steveperry
    2023-08-24 02:11:40.983Z2023-08-24 02:19:26.479Zassigned to
    • @cghague

I need to install a driver for a wifi adapter on the host computer that currently has no internet source. Is it possible to download the driver onto the tinyp and then get it to the host and installed through the tinyp? Or do I just need to connect the host to the internet? This wifi adapter does not have drivers on itself.

• 7 replies
    1. @fft2023-08-24 07:33:17.442Z

Hi Steven,
      I never did this, but this is what I found out:
      https://tinypilotkvm.com/faq/enable-wifi

thanks
      Juergen

1. C
        In reply tosteveperry:

Hi @steveperry, thanks for your great question about installing software on the target machine.

I understand that the target machine has a WiFi adapter but that you can't install the drivers for the adapter as the target machine doesn't have an Internet connection. Assuming my understanding is correct, I'm pleased to confirm you can transfer the drivers to the target machine using the "Virtual Media" feature.

The "Virtual Media" feature lets you share a disk image with the target machine over the USB connection. The target machine will see the disk image as a USB storage device or a CD-ROM. If a disk image isn't available, which is sometimes the case with newer hardware, then you'd need to create one.

Can you please check the manufacturer's website for your WiFi adapter and confirm if they offer a downloadable disk image?

1. S@steveperry
            2023-08-24 16:33:25.375Z2023-08-24 16:47:18.527Z

That's the case exactly!

They have the firmware but I don't know if that will suffice for an image?

vhttps://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=A8000&_ga=2.176217317.1113511758.1692894523-1007117928.1692894523

I also don't really have any idea how to do this.

I appreciate the quick response!

1. S@steveperry
                2023-08-24 23:04:11.046Z

I tried creating an image and mounting it via the virtual usb but I definitely didn't do it right and when I mount the virtual usb, it asks for formatting and then says it's read only.

1. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Unfortunately, the vendor hasn’t provided a disk image, so we must create one manually. I appreciate it’s a bit of a hassle, but I’ll be able to guide you throughout the process. Can you please confirm if the computer you’re using to connect to your TinyPilot (i.e., the one with Internet access) is running Windows, macOS, or Linux? Alternatively, if you can access your TinyPilot device using SSH, I may be able to provide a command that will generate the disk image for you.

1. S@steveperry
                      2023-08-25 18:14:06.906Z

Yes, the host is connected to the TinyPilot that I have internet access to. The host is running Windows 10. I don't know enough about SSH to answer that, but I do not have access to any other computers or devices on the network. I don't mind the hassle.

1. Thanks for confirming! I appreciate that you may not have used SSH before, but I'd be happy to guide you through it. Windows 10 contains a built-in SSH client, so connecting should be straightforward as long as your TinyPilot device and the Windows 10 machine are on the same network.

Windows 10 doesn't have a built-in way to create disk images, so if you'd prefer to make the disk image on your Windows 10 computer, you'll need to install third-party software. Do you have any CD burning software installed, as CD burning software often includes a tool to create disk images?