No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Audio streaming with H264 and VGA/HDMI adapter

By @robotechmaster
    2023-08-28 06:02:47.163Zassigned to
    • @david

I purchased a VGA to HDMI adapter along with my Tinypilot Voyager 2A. I am to get an HDMI machine to stream audio ok but if I use a machine with the VGA to HDMI adapter it doesn’t work most of the time. On a few occasions, it plays audio out of the blue. Any ideas on how to proceed?

• 7 replies
    1. In reply torobotechmaster:
      David @david2023-08-28 12:11:57.236Z

Hi @robotechmaster, thanks for your question!

Unfortunately, audio streaming isn't supported when using most VGA adapters with your TinyPilot. This is because VGA is a video-only interface and doesn't support any audio interfacing unlike HDMI which is a multimedia interface.

I just did a quick test on my own device just to confirm this. As expected, using only HDMI works. However, with the VGA to HDMI adapter, TinyPilot can't stream audio from the target machine because VGA doesn't encode any audio to pass along to your TinyPilot's HDMI input.

The VGA adapter we sell does have a 3.5mm audio input jack. So you should be able to connect your PC's headphone port to the VGA adapter to send audio via HDMI to your TinyPilot that way. Are you using the 3.5mm input jack on your VGA adapter?

1. R
        In reply torobotechmaster:
        @robotechmaster
          2023-08-28 14:13:05.525Z

hello yes I am. I am using your VGA to Hdmi adapter. Currently the 3.5 mm jack is plugged in to my sound card's audio out. Hence the occasional sound. I can try another VGA to Hdmi adapter to see if it works. I also did try the speaker out on the sound card as well but same results.

1. David @david2023-08-28 14:41:47.327Z

Interesting! Thanks for confirming that you're using the 3.5mm jack. It's rare for anyone to use the 3.5mm audio jack on their VGA adapter, so I'm not sure whether anyone else has had a similar experience. From my own tests, I haven't been able to get audio working using my VGA adapter.

When you use only HDMI, are you using the same sound card? If you are, it suggests an issue with the VGA adapter or the VGA adapter's sound input.

Could you test your 3.5mm jack cable work with other devices to check whether it's working as expected? I'm wondering whether it could be a cable issue.

2. Progress
            with handling this problem
          3. R
            @robotechmaster
              2023-08-28 16:49:38.420Z

Hello
              I am not using the same computer. I am using an ancient PC that has a Vga port and sound card. The HDMI PC is a normal win 11 with me using the graphics card as audio output. I will run some more experiments.

1. David @david2023-08-28 18:10:58.981Zreplies torobotechmaster:

When you mentioned a sound card, I definitely thought it could be a much older machine. Have you tested the audio out via the sound card to check that it's working correctly without the VGA adapter e.g., by connecting speakers / headphones to the sound card?

1. R
                  @robotechmaster
                    2023-08-28 19:13:57.797Zreplies todavid:

It does with a speaker but I will check the cable.

1. David @david2023-08-29 16:43:11.553Zreplies torobotechmaster:

If your 3.5mm cable works as expected when it's not connected to your VGA adapter that suggests your VGA adapter may be causing this intermittent audio issue.

I tried streaming audio with my VGA adapter again today - and I've managed to get it working. So I can confirm that audio streaming does work with our VGA adapter.

Please keep me updated with the results of you cable test and other experiments.