No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Ethernet Port Dead after less than 7 days

By @wavesound
    2023-09-12 16:53:44.568Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Our Tinypilot KVM ethernet port died less than a week after receiving it.

Tested on 4 switches and 3 different cables. What do we do?

• 7 replies
    1. C

Hi @wavesound, thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry you're having trouble with the Ethernet port.

It's unclear if this is a hardware or software issue, so we'll need to investigate further to ensure we find you the best solution. Can you please confirm if the green LED or the amber LED on the Ethernet port lights up when you connect your TinyPilot device to a switch?

1. W
        In reply towavesound:
        @wavesound
          2023-09-13 14:00:53.233Z

Hi Charles,

No lights light up at all.

1. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. The lack of lights suggests this issue might be due to a hardware fault or a power supply issue. It’d be good to confirm which, so can you please check if the main power LED, located near the USB-C ports, lights up when your TinyPilot device is connected to a power supply? If the LED does light up it would suggest the Ethernet port is faulty, but if it doesn’t light up it might indicate a power supply issue.

1. W@wavesound
                2023-09-13 21:54:11.881Z

Yes, the main power lights are illuminated when connected to the power supply.

1. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The symptoms you've described indicate that the Ethernet port is either faulty or disabled. I appreciate it's a hassle, but as a final diagnostic step, could you please try following the factory reset process, which will re-enable the Ethernet port if it is disabled? If that doesn't work, please let me know, and I'll arrange for our customer support team to contact you with return/repair options.

1. W@wavesound
                      2023-09-15 12:36:27.318Z

Hi Charles, I completed the factory reset using Balena Etcher and the Ethernet port is still dead.

1. Thank you for trying the factory reset; I'm sorry it didn't resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it does appear that this issue is a hardware fault. I've asked our customer support team to reach out to you by e-mail, and they should contact you soon.