No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilot Voyager 2 PoE no lights on ethernet / network. Unreachable.

By Kate Hodgkinson @katesse
    2023-09-15 19:57:42.803Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi I have a TinyPilot Voyager 2 PoE puchased Oct 19, 2022 ORDER #4527.

Starting today we have no lights on network and the unit is unreachable.

We have checked cables, nettwork config and have isolated the issue down to the unit itself.
    Please advise as to what our next step is.

Thank you,

Kate

• 9 replies
    1. David @david2023-09-18 14:21:56.988Z

Hi Kate, I'm sorry your TinyPilot is unreachable.

And thank you for sharing those troubleshooting details!

Can I ask whether you're powering your device using PoE? Or are you using USB-C power?

When you power your TinyPilot, do you see the red 'Power' LED turn on and the green 'Activity' LED next to it flicker? (These two LEDs are located on the opposite side of your device relative to the Ethernet port.)

1. KKate Hodgkinson @katesse
          2023-09-18 14:26:45.850Z2023-09-18 14:58:10.883Z

We are currently powering the device with POE. We are seeing neither the red power light, nor the green activity light.

As we do own multiple of the same model, we have tested on a known working POE injector with a known good eithernet cord and are still receiving the same results.

It does appear as though the unit itself is failing to power on.

This morning we have note the behaviour repeating on a second unit.

1. David @david2023-09-18 17:33:56.016Z

Thanks for confirming!

Are you able to power your TinyPilot using USB-C via your TinyPilot's 'Power' port? It would be ideal if you use the power adapter included with your device, rather than another adapter, due to TinyPilot's power requirements. If your TinyPilot boots via USB-C power, that should help determine whether your Ethernet port is broken, or if it's PoE causing this issue.

This morning we have note the behaviour repeating on a second unit.

That's interesting - thanks for letting me know. Can we stick with the first unit and try to diagnose the issue before checking the second one?

• K
          In reply tokatesse:
          Kate Hodgkinson @katesse
            2023-09-18 17:35:23.348Z

Good Afternoon,
            After testing withe the USB C adapter, we still do not have any lights on the system.
            Please advise us as to what our next steps should be.

Kindest Regards,

Kate

1. David @david2023-09-18 18:33:14.192Z

Thanks for the update, Kate!

TinyPilot hardware failures are pretty rare, so seeing two instances of the same issue seems quite unlikely. I'd like to try and figure out how we're seeing two failures at the same time.

Could you share the make / model of the PoE injectors/switches you use with your TinyPilots?

And can you confirm that you've always used PoE on your TinyPilots using these devices?

2. K
              In reply tokatesse:
              Kate Hodgkinson @katesse
                2023-09-18 18:53:24.877Z

Good Afternoon,

The POE injectors we are using are Trendnet TPE-113GI.
                The unit which we initially reported as faulty will neither boot of the POE injector or via the USBC power.

We do have multiple POE injectors and have eliminated them as a cause.
                Given that the one unit will not boot either over POE or with USB C it appears to be an issue with the unit itself

1. David @david2023-09-19 11:56:02.531Z

Thanks for sharing the details of the PoE injectors.

Given that the one unit will not boot either over POE or with USB C it appears to be an issue with the unit itself

Yes, I agree that it sounds like an issue with the device itself if it doesn't receive power over USB-C or PoE. I've reached out to the customer support team, so they should reach out to you via email.

Does the second device you mentioned power on via USB-C?

2. K
                  In reply tokatesse:
                  Kate Hodgkinson @katesse
                    2023-09-19 12:30:08.206Z

The secondary device which is problematic will power with USBC.

With this unit we have noted some concearning behaviour. One is that it will inconsistently boot via POE, the second being that we have on occasion experiencing the input freezing.

1. David @david2023-09-19 14:17:32.274Z

Thanks for confirming, Kate! Since this TinyPilot boots with USB-C, but inconsistently with PoE, that suggests there may be an issue with the PoE module on your TinyPilot - assuming you've tried different known working PoE injectors.

For the input freezing issue, could you boot the second TinyPilot with USB-C and share a TinyPilot log for me to review? On your TinyPilot's web interface, navigate to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL. Then paste the link in your reply.