No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

2 Second latency no matter what I do

By Kyle Muehl @cylemmulo
    2023-09-27 04:09:43.500Z2023-09-27 04:38:33.309Zassigned to
    • @cghague

So I have a tinypilot setup and I feel like the quality settings do nothing. Switching from Mjpeg to H264 doens't change anything, and both of them look the exact same even at the lowest possible quality setting.

I get around 2 seconds latency. I did a speed test with the pi (it's on wifi) and I get around 30-40mbs consistent throughput, so that shouldn't be the issue. I've tried multiple PCs/Browsers and it's still the same.

Also i'm using the Tinypilot power adapter with a 3amp power brick (tried two different ones and same results)

Anything you guys can think to check?

https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/jrLnx2Cq

• 1 replies
    1. C

Hi Kyle, thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with latency.

I've reviewed the logs, and I can see that you are using a HDMI-to-USB capture device. These devices can have variable performance, but I'd expect the latency to be significantly better than you are currently observing, so we'll need to investigate further.

The following log entries suggest that your device isn't receiving enough power to function normally, which could lead to poor performance and high latency:

CPU throttled since boot: yes
      Voltage issues: yes - Sep 27 05:02:45 raspberrypi kernel: hwmon hwmon1: Undervoltage detected!

An incompatible or insufficient power supply is the most common explanation for voltage issues. However, it sounds like you've ruled that out already, so I'd suggest checking if anything connected to your device (such as fans, storage media, etc.) is drawing too much power.