No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Connecting TinyPilot to 4/5G network

By Marc Strik @strikmarc
    2023-09-27 09:10:57.132Zassigned to
    • @cghague

I am using the TinyPilot solution in remote areas without wifi/ethernet but with adequate 4/5G coverage. I create a wi-fi hotspot with my phone to connect the TinyPilot which I control remotely using Tailscale. Has anyone tried to directly insert a SIM card into the TinyPilot or via a USB solution?

• 2 replies
    1. C

Hi Marc, thanks for your question about using a cellular dongle with a TinyPilot device.

I’ve tried this myself, and I can confirm that, with a suitable USB cellular dongle and good cellular coverage, this is indeed possible, and it works well. There are some caveats to be aware of, mostly around how cellular providers allocate IP addresses. However, since you have installed Tailscale on your TinyPilot device, you should be able to avoid the most common issues. I used a Huawei E8372, but I’d expect most dongles with Linux support to work.

We’re hoping to write up a blog post on this topic at some point, so I’d recommend keeping an eye on our blog if this is something you’re interested in!

1. S
        In reply tostrikmarc:
        Marc Strik @strikmarc
          2023-09-28 07:15:10.538Z

Thanks you Charles for your response. Would definitely be interesting in the blog post.
          And many other I assume, since it boosts connectivity of the device.