No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Resolution issue

By @wannabetechsupport
    2023-11-06 17:24:44.519Zassigned to
    • @david

I just got a TinyPilot and it worked quite well out of the box, for simple setups it is actually plug and play. I have the following problem.
    I have a setup with 1 PC that is connected to 4 screens with a resolution of 3840x1080 each. All screens are mirrored.

My goal is to mirror the output of the PC to the TinyPilot.

When I connect the TinyPilot (HDMI to HDMI) it defaults to being an additional extended screen with the max resolution of the TinyPilot (1920x1080). I can force it to duplicate through the nvidia controller but it changes the resolution of all the other screens to the max resolution of the TinyPilot. I can force all screens including the TinyPilot to 3840x1080 through the windows settings.
    This makes it usable but barely.

• What I get is black bars on top and bottom with the actual content being very small.
    • The cursor becomes misaligned due to the difference in resolution.

Questions:

• Is there a way to natively set the TinyPilot to 3840x1080?
    • Is there a way for the user to zoom into a part of a screen that is mirrored? e.g. A user on a normal monitor to zoom to for example half of the 3840x1080 screen so that it occupies the full screen.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2023-11-07 10:41:01.613Z

Hi @wannabetechsupport, I'm sorry you're running into this display settings issue.

• What I get is black bars on top and bottom with the actual content being very small.
      • The cursor becomes misaligned due to the difference in resolution.

I suspect Windows may be scaling down your 3840x1080 resolution and actually outputting 1920x1080 for compatibility with TinyPilot.

In the Windows display settings, you may see "Desktop resolution" and "Active signal resolution". I have a feeling that the behavior you're seeing is the Active signal resolution is set to 1920x1080. That would explain why you're seeing black bars, small content, and a misaligned cursor.

Is there a way to natively set the TinyPilot to 3840x1080?

Unfortunately, TinyPilot doesn't support high-end resolutions like 3840x1080. TinyPilot's current maximum resolution is 1920x1080 at 50Hz. The current limitation on TinyPilot's supported display settings is hardware bandwidth, so I'm confident that even if we forced your TinyPilot to request 3840x1080 from your Windows machine, you wouldn't get a video signal at all.

Is there a way for the user to zoom into a part of a screen that is mirrored? e.g. A user on a normal monitor to zoom to for example half of the 3840x1080 screen so that it occupies the full screen.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean here. Do you mean zooming into a screen with TinyPilot? The only thing I can think of here is if you enter TinyPilot's Dedicated Window mode and scale the window such that the parts you want to see are large enough. But that's still not a great experience in terms of the mouse behavior.

I'm sorry that I don't have a great solution for you in this instance since there are compromises with each available option. i.e., Mirrored 1920x1080 doesn't fit your workflow with an ultra-wide, and scaled-down 3840x1080 is barely usable because of mouse alignment and size.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.