No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

No Video on Voyager 2a with HDMI to VGA Adapter

By Howard @hmjllc
    2023-11-09 11:57:39.001Z2023-11-09 12:11:24.079Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Frustrating little device. Can't seem to get the video working. Hard to believe it doesn't support the most popular resolution 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. Tried the supported rate of 1280x720 @ 60Hz and still no joy.

HP
    ProDesk 600 G3 Desktop Mini
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Voyager 2a with USB-C Power and the VGA to HDMI Adapter

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/paramus/2023/11/08/the-orange-lantern-paramus-sold-90-years/71504981007/?fbclid=IwAR3yzrfIj-2Pgnyt5TbNG0AUBD2V1kpmUnAhqhKUwshYRWKRW0TXPScki2I

• 6 replies
    1. C

Hi Howard, thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with video.

I completely understand why being unable to use 1920x1080 at 60Hz can be frustrating; this restriction is due to a limitation in the capture hardware. I've found that using 1920x1080 at 30Hz at the default quality settings works quite well in my day-to-day experience.

In terms of the no signal error, we've seen this happen where the target computer, VGA adapter, and the TinyPilot device haven't successfully negotiated suitable display settings. Can you please send me a link to your logs by going to System, then Logs, and then Get Shareable URL? I'll then be able to confirm what settings are being used.

1. HHoward @hmjllc
          2023-11-09 17:26:55.375Z
          1. Thanks for getting back to me. It seems like you might have copied the wrong link, as the link in both of your messages appears to be for a local news site. For reference, TinyPilot log links start with https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com. Can you please check and try copying the link again?

1. HHoward @hmjllc
                2023-11-09 18:08:53.527Z

Indeed you're right. As it was my first time, I thought that clicking "Shareable Link" would automatically copy it to my buffer. I think I've got it this time! Sorry for the inconvenience...

https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/6Lvlrrco

1. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've reviewed the logs and can see that the TinyPilot device isn't receiving a video signal at all, so we'll need to investigate further.

It would be great if we could confirm all of the hardware works in isolation in the first instance. Could you please try connecting the HDMI output of the VGA adapter to a HDMI monitor and checking the desktop appears as expected? That will help us to confirm that the target computer and the VGA adapter are both working. Could you please also try temporarily connecting your TinyPilot device to a target computer using a direct HDMI connection, as that will help us to confirm that the TinyPilot device is also working correctly?

1. HHoward @hmjllc
                      2023-11-10 23:30:03.124Z

Connecting an HDMI monitor to the output of the VGA adapter works fine. As for the second test, I don't have a computer with an HDMI port. However, on Sunday, I will receive a StarTech HDMI to DisplayPort cable which I think you'll agree will be a similar and equally valuable test.