No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

RESOLVED Copy cert and key to 2nd microSD card

By Don Eitner @FreihEitner
    2023-11-11 21:35:32.595Zassigned to
    • @david

I have one TinyPilot Pro but two microSD cards (I like to have a backup). Only problem is when I boot using the 2nd one to perform routine updates, I get certificate warnings and as a result when the update completes I never know because the page does not reload itself due to the cert warning. I read your instructions on how to copy my own certificate and key onto a TinyPilot but trying to move the key file from one SD card to the other seems impossible without root access, as the /etc/ssl/private directory is inaccessible to the 'pilot' user.

Perhaps it's not possible, but is there a way I am not seeing to make sure both installs of my TinyPilot Pro software have the same cert and key so that Windows and Chrome will treat either one of them as legit? Thanks in advance.

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 1 replies
    1. David @david2023-11-13 19:28:31.010Z

Hi @FreihEitner, thanks for your question!

trying to move the key file from one SD card to the other seems impossible without root access, as the /etc/ssl/private directory is inaccessible to the 'pilot' user.

What if you tried something like this:

First, SSH into your TinyPilot and copy the key to the home directory:

sudo cp /etc/ssl/private/tinypilot-nginx.key ./

Change the owner of the copied key:

sudo chown pilot:pilot tinypilot-nginx.key

Then copy the file to your Windows machine using whichever tool you like.

On the other SD card, run the process in reverse to add the file: Copy the file from the Windows machine to the home directory.

Next, on the TinyPilot, change the owner back to root:

sudo chown root:root tinypilot-nginx.key

Finally, move the key to /etc/ssl/private/tinypilot-nginx.key:

sudo mv tinypilot-nginx.key /etc/ssl/private/

That should copy the key in the manner you're trying to do. You could do this with the certificate file too.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if that works.

Reply1 LikeSolution