No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Workstaion running two pikvms for 2 lcds with separate dedicated pi running USB over IP?

By D Barr @david_fl
    2023-11-13 13:45:24.260Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Hello,

I am thinking about using this software to control the mouse and keyboard:
    https://fleetstack.io/blog/how-to-setup-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-usb-over-ip-server-a-comprehensive-guide

I want to use 2 pikvms on my desktop w/ two LCDs. I tried to disable the mouse and keyboard events on the secondary pikvm but it works pretty good, but looking for better integration.

Can anyone think of a reason why this may not work. Here is what the setup would look like.
    Pi1 running USB over IP to workstation.
    Pi2 running pikvm for LCD number 1
    Pi3 running pikvm for LCD number 2

Thanks in advance for any input.

• 1 replies
    1. C

Hi @david_fl, thanks for reaching out with your question about using multiple devices to control one target. We don't support PiKVM, but based on your older threads, it sounds like you're actually using TinyPilot.

TinyPilot devices present themselves to targets as monitors and USB composite devices. As most computers can handle several monitors and many USB devices, you should be able to connect multiple TinyPilot devices to a single target without any issues.

I've looked at the usbip tool, and I'm not sure it'll work for your purposes. My understanding is that the usbip server has physical devices connected to it (so, for example, you'd plug a USB keyboard into the usbip server), and the client then runs the usbip client. This setup means you'd need to install the usbip client on your target computer, which, unfortunately, isn't likely to be what you want.