No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

RESOLVED No Signal after upgrade to 2.6.2

By Don Eitner @FreihEitner
    2023-11-15 19:27:53.202Zassigned to
    • @david

Running TinyPilot Voyager (original) with pro license software. Prior to recent upgrade to 2.6.2, video from my target machine (Microsoft Surface Laptop 4) worked in both MJPEG and H.264 modes. I only boot the laptop once every few weeks so I upgraded the TinyPilot software when the laptop was not connected. Now today I get NO SIGNAL from the laptop, however I can see on the laptop's built-in screen that my mouse and keyboard are working through the TinyPilot.

I have tried both MJPEG and H.264 modes, I have turned down the target laptop's resolution to 1280x720 and have restarted both devices several times. I also disconnected and reconnected both the HDMI cable (from both ends) and the adapter I'm using to connect that into the laptop's USB-C port.

This same setup worked about 3 weeks ago on TinyPilot Pro 2.6.1.

I have a log file (saved as .txt) but not sure how to upload it here.

Solved in post #3, click to view
    • 5 replies
    1. F
      Don Eitner @FreihEitner
        2023-11-15 20:11:35.384Z

I guess maybe my log is shared at https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/af6D5RVU

1. David @david2023-11-16 12:51:11.024Z

Hi @FreihEitner, I'm sorry you're running into this No Signal issue.

And thanks for sharing your logs and all of those details.

Those logs confirm that your TinyPilot updated successfully to 2.6.2. But they also confirm that your TinyPilot isn't receiving a signal from your target machine.

Based on the message in the log (Persistent device timeout (unplugged)) my first instinct is to check your HDMI cable and the USB-C to confirm that they're working, before we check anything else.

Could you try testing the HDMI cable (without the adapter) with other known-working devices e.g., a TV? And could you also test the USB-C adapter with the same display after checking that the HDMI cable works correctly?

ReplySolution
        2. F
          In reply toFreihEitnerā¬†:
          Don Eitner @FreihEitner
            2023-11-18 00:16:40.459Z

I switched out my previously working HDMI cable with the only other one I own and it is working now. Can an HDMI cable spontaneously go bad? It worked for the past two years with this setup and it never gets unplugged or moved from my desk. Alternate one is working now, though, so I'm good. Thank you and sorry for the trouble.

1. David @david2023-11-20 12:15:54.411Z

You're welcome! I'm glad you're back up and running now!

Can an HDMI cable spontaneously go bad?

It's unusual for an HDMI cable to go bad spontaneously, particularly if it's never unplugged. But it does happen. Usually, when a cable breaks, it's because of physical damage or a manufacturing defect. It's difficult to say what caused your original cable to break, unfortunately.

Feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions!

2. Progress
              with handling this problem
            3. G
              Gurjinder @gurjinder12
                2024-02-20 18:36:58.648Z

No video after I update to 2.6.2. When I check the status of ustreamer service it says failed.

sudo systemctl status ustreamer.service
                ā— ustreamer.service - uStreamer - Lightweight, optimized video encoder
                Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ustreamer.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
                Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2024-02-20 18:29:39 GMT; 4min 21s ago
                Process: 765 ExecStart=/opt/ustreamer-launcher/launch (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
                Main PID: 765 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)