No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Can't update from 2.6.1 to 2.6.2 - No Space left on device

By @Itziclinic
    2023-11-29 00:20:24.541Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Hey all. I'm experiencing this error when trying to update: Error: [Errno 28] No space left on device.

I've been using the device in a very basic mode and haven't installed or configured anything extra. It typically runs 100% of the time with no reboots and is used as a KVM to a proxmox server. When I SSH in I see this which makes it look like there's a lot of logging eating up the storage space.

If I try to pull System > Logs from the UI I see this (with sensitive data hidden). https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/dMYZ5t7a

Reading the logs presents a ton of the same two repeating messages in all three of the large file types (kern/syslog/messages). Running cat on a file will spin through them for a long time without passing through a single day. I'm new to linux so if there's a better way to search these for unique events I'd be happy to know!

There are no external USB devices connected to this unit and it's using the provided microSD card (32gb). I cleaned up the three old log files using (sudo rm /var/log/filename) to clear up space and was able to update successfully, however I'm concerned this space will continue to slowly fill.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for to troubleshoot further and would appreciate any thoughts!

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 2 replies
    1. C

Hi @Itziclinic, thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry you're having issues with your TinyPilot device running out of space. The steps you've taken to troubleshoot this issue are exactly the approach I'd have taken; thank you for sharing your findings.

The code dwc2 refers to how the TinyPilot device acts as a USB client for the target computer rather than a USB host for any other devices. As such, I suspect the issue is that there may be a bad connection somewhere, causing repeated disconnect and reconnect cycles.

Can you please try using an alternate USB port on the target computer and checking the port on the TinyPilot device to ensure it is clear of obstructions and the cable is securely connected? Could you please also try using a different USB-C to USB-A cable if you happen to have access to one?

Reply1 LikeSolution
      1. I@Itziclinic
          2023-11-29 20:36:16.182Z

Hi Charles,

Thank you for the prompt reply and steps! I rebooted my target computer, disconnected the data cable from the target computer, cleared the rest of the tinypilot logs for the issue, and then tried a different USB port. It seems to have cleared up the events.

As an additional note when I rebooted my proxmox server prior to these steps I did see these events on boot signaling it was exactly what you were talking about.

usb 1-1.1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
          usb 1-1.1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

It looks like -71 is a USB unrecognized error (port/cable/etc), and -110 is insufficient power supply to USB. I'm betting it's a bad USB port (or just connection, as the data input was working) on the target computer. If it does pop back up I have the info I need to troubleshoot further.

Thank you again for your help!