No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Tinypilot to Raspberry PI 4 USB not working

By Justin Thomas @justin
    2023-12-08 15:20:20.386Zassigned to
    • @cghague

I've connected my Tinypilot to the Raspberry PI and the USB input doesn't seem to be working.

It works fine when connected to PC/NUC and several other devices so far.

I've looked at:

And tried:

• Swapping the USB cable to any of the PI's ports - no difference
    • Tried the USB cable to a different destination - it works perfectly when connected to a basic PC
    • I have tried switching the USB cable out to a different one with the same results (works on the PC but not the PI).

The only thing I've not tried so far is a different PI 4 - I'll have one of those arriving tomorrow so I can test that too.

Logs: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/keot4piQ

I'm not using a special case at all with this PI, just the one from the PI hut: https://thepihut.com/products/aluminium-vesa-raspberry-pi-4-case .

I'm not too bothered about this not working, as its a more 'nice-to-have' which saves me form installing something like VNC etc on the PI. In any case I thought I'd let you know about it, to help build a corpus of information about weird scenarios where there is a problem.

Solved in post #4, click to view
    • 4 replies
    1. C

Hi Justin, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm sorry you're having trouble using TinyPilot with a Raspberry Pi 4B.

The thread you linked to talks about building a hobbyist TinyPilot around a Raspberry Pi 4B, but it sounds like you're trying to use a retail TinyPilot device to control a Raspberry Pi 4B. If that's correct, I can confirm it should work, as that's precisely how I'm using mine!

Can you please confirm if the Raspberry Pi 4B is running stock Raspberry Pi OS? I appreciate it sounds like an obvious question, but could you also check that other USB devices, ideally a keyboard, work as expected?

1. JJustin Thomas @justin
          2023-12-08 18:24:47.049Z

For confirmation:

• Yes, I'm using a TinyPilot pro to connect to a PI 4B (2Gb ram variant) .
          • The PI is running stock Raspian (bookworm) and I've applied all updates via apt update.
          • USB mouse and Keyboard are working fine - as that's the only way I can install the updates at the moment (as I've not enabled ssh to try to keep stuff as stock as possible).

I can confirm it should work, as that's precisely how I'm using mine!

I thought that would be the case, as I've no reason to think it shouldn't work.

Hopefully, a different PI B will show if its an issue with the current PI 4B hardware or something else.

Thanks for the speedy response!

• Progress
          with handling this problem
        • J
          Justin Thomas @justin
            2023-12-09 17:14:10.432Z

TLDR;

Make sure your USB cable is a USB-C made to work with the PI.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you which make or where I purchased it from as the one that works was out of my spare cable box.

It seems that not all USB C cables are made equal.

On bootup of the new PI I noticed that there was an error to do with the USB port I had connected to.

I then tried yet another cable to connect with and this time everything worked.

The only real difference in the cables so far as far as I can see is that one had blue coloured plastic inside the larger end. The others where white.

Bear in mind though, that the other cable I used originally worked on ALL of the PCs I was using.

I can only think its some sort of standards issue or something - either PI raspbian is too strict or the PC one is fudging it to make it work?

For those of you who wish to know what a valid USB list looks like:

justin@pi4-1:~ $ lsusb
            Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
            Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1d6b:0104 Linux Foundation Multifunction Composite Gadget
            Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
            Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

And when I'm using the 'bad' cable:

justin@pi4-1:~ $ lsusb
            Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
            Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
            Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

It's clear that the device doesn't recognise the 'Gadget'.

In summary:

• Old cable works on PCs and NUCs
            • Doesn't work on Raspberry PI
            • New cable works everywhere

Differences between the cable - none that can be seen other than the colours of the larger USB connector (the working one has a blue inside connector and the one that doesn't is white).

In any case - this whole post, I suppose, is to help anyone seeing the same problem I came across.

ReplySolution
            1. C
              Charles Hague @cghague2023-12-12 02:01:29.137Zreplies tojustin:

Thanks for getting back to me; I'm pleased using an alternative USB cable solved the problem.

Most USB cables should work with TinyPilot devices, but differences in quality, performance, and implementation could all be factors in why the original cable didn't work with your Raspberry Pi. The different colored plug might suggest it's a Thunderbolt cable, but in theory, that shouldn't have any effect.

In any case, I really appreciate you taking the time to write up your findings, as it's helpful to us and future readers, so thanks again!