No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilotKVM - Setup - New Purchase Help

By a7673 @a7673
    2023-12-20 07:04:22.114Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Hi,

I am planning to purchase TinyPilotKVM device and I want to ensure it works with my setup(Please see attached image) and I want to make sure I have answers forehand to the following questions as well.

If anyone has same setup and has gone through these, kindly please answer.

As per my setup, my goal is to remotely be able to operate the office laptop residing in my home(and is connected to office VPN)

1)Will the company's IT department get alerted that a TinyPilotKVM/(raspberry pi device) has been connected to the office laptop(Computer A) and being remotely operated by this KVM device?

2)Will they also get alerted that some sort of data is read and transmitted from this laptop(Computer A) to TinyPilotKVM?

3)Since the USB-A and HDMI Devices are connected to the office laptop(Computer A), will the computer show/read these peripherals as a regular generic Video Display HDMI and a USB Dongle (HID for Mouse & Keyboard) or does it show original names of these (assuming the names as - Raspberry Pi Data and Raspberry Pi Video Capture Device)?

4)Based on #3, Is it possible to trick the peripherals connected to the laptop(Computer A) by tweaking the code in Raspberry Pi, so that the laptop(Computer A) reads them as regular generic Display and USB Dongle?

5)What are my other alternatives to stealthy operate it with this setup with success?

Thanks,
    A

• 3 replies
    1. C

Hi a7673, thanks for reaching out with your questions about whether TinyPilot will work in your scenario!

Our article on whether anyone can detect when you're using TinyPilot summarises the situation as follows:

The TinyPilot team is not aware of any IT tools that specifically detect TinyPilot or flag the device as a threat. That said, TinyPilot is designed to control systems that you own or have permission to access. TinyPilot does not attempt to evade detection from software that searches for remote administration tools.

I'd recommend carefully reading through the article, as it provides a detailed overview of how a TinyPilot device presents itself to a target computer, and you can decide how to proceed from there.

1. Aa7673 @a7673
          2023-12-24 19:15:52.185Z

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Can I make a purchase now? Is there any new version of the device ready to be launched, so I can wait until then?

1. Thanks for getting back to me. I've deleted the duplicate thread, as keeping everything in one place ensures we can provide you with the best possible support.

We're constantly improving TinyPilot's hardware and software, so it's always possible that a new device might be released. The TinyPilot Voyager 2a was only released in February, so I'd expect it to remain current for the foreseeable future.

I hope this is reassuring! If you'd like more information on the latest TinyPilot news and developments, I'd recommend following our blog and reading our change log.