No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Voyager dead (even to pings) after upgrade attempt

By Vijay Vaidyanathan @vvaidy
    2024-01-06 23:31:14.052Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi ... I tried to upgrade my Voyager but now it's dead and doesn't even respond to pings. I'm happy to try and reflash the sdcard but it prompts me for my original purchase details since I think I might need a new subscription.

Is there a location where I can just re-download the original version I purchased, or the last version that I was entitled to after my original purchase? Alternately, is there a "my voyager is dead and not responding to pings" debugging cheat sheet? I did try searching but nothing obvious jumped out at me.

I get and appreciate the logic behind charging for updates to the software but I'm hesitant to pay for an updated subscription and download if my hardware is essentially dead.

Thanks!

Solved in post #3, click to view
    • 5 replies
    1. David @david2024-01-08 12:31:16.173Z

Hi @vvaidy, I'm sorry your TinyPilot isn't booting after attempting to update your softare.

Based on your symptoms, it sounds like filesystem corruption on your SD card is preventing your TinyPilot from booting. That would explain why your TinyPilot is also not responding to ping.

Is there a location where I can just re-download the original version I purchased, or the last version that I was entitled to after my original purchase?

I've reached out to the customer service team to help with this. You should receive an email from them soon with the latest TinyPilot image you qualify for as a one-time courtesy. Once you have the image, can you try re-flashing your SD card to get back up and running?

I'm hesitant to pay for an updated subscription and download if my hardware is essentially dead.

I understand your concern here. However, I'm confident that this isn't a hardware issue based on your description of the issue. If re-flashing your SD card gets you back up and running, you're more than welcome to renew your license to get access to TinyPilot's latest features and bugfixes and priority support.

As a small company, we rely on license renewals to fund improvements to TinyPilot’s software, so thank you in advance if you choose to renew!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. VVijay Vaidyanathan @vvaidy
          2024-01-08 17:14:07.725Z

Thanks. I did figure out that it needed reflashing by hooking up the HDMI console output from the Raspberry Pi to a monitor. I did reflash and it’s working fine now. I’ll happily renew my license, your support has been wonderful and I love the device, thank you!

PS: I do not think I received any sort of notification when my license expired … I don’t know if you email your client base asking them to renew when it comes time to do so, but please consider doing so. I have a feeling many of us would be happy to do so in order to support you if nothing else :-)

ReplySolution
          1. David @david2024-01-08 18:47:36.344Z

You're welcome! I'm glad you're back up and running! And thank you so much for your kind words.

PS: I do not think I received any sort of notification when my license expired … I don’t know if you email your client base asking them to renew when it comes time to do so, but please consider doing so.

Thanks for the great suggestion! I don't think we currently email customers when their license expires, but I can definitely see the benefits of doing so. I've relayed your suggestion to the team.

Please feel free to reach out again if you have any questions.

• A
          In reply tovvaidy:
          @adbarads
            2024-01-11 21:38:17.682Z

I have the exact same issue. I will try to reach out to support directly and see what happens

1. VVijay Vaidyanathan @vvaidy
                2024-01-12 02:09:51.624Z

Hi ... one suggestion I have that helped me was to pop the top off the voyager, and plug the raspberry pi's HDMI out (there are two of them, I used the one on the left marked HDMI 0) into a monitor to see what was going on. You can even plug a USB into the port and get everything working from there.