No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

EDID modification

By @hicham04
    2024-01-07 13:23:47.026Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi guys, I hope you are doing well. I'm still struggling with changing the edid of my tinypilot , I have very little knowledge and trying to do my best. I used the procedure : https://tinypilotkvm.com/faq/change-edid , but getting this error at the end, tee: '': No such file or directory

can you please help me out
    thank soo much for your time

• 20 replies

There are 20 replies. Estimated reading time: 10 minutes

1. H
      @hicham04
        2024-01-07 13:25:08.678Z

for the version I have:

About TinyPilot Pro
        Version: 2.6.2
        License: End-User License Agreement

1. In reply tohicham04:
          David @david2024-01-08 12:57:25.129Z

Hi @hicham04, I'm sorry you're running into this issue setting the EDID on your TinyPilot.

Based on the error message, it looks like the EDID filename variable hasn't been set, which causes the command to fail.

The first command in the snippet sets the EDID filename variable for the rest of the commands to use. If it hasn't executed correctly, the rest of the commands will fail because they don't have a filename to use:

EDID="/home/ustreamer/edids/tc358743-edid.hex"

In our FAQ snippets, you can copy/paste the whole snippet instead of running commands line-by-line. Can you try copying/pasting the whole snippet and see if that sets the EDID correctly?

I hope that helps! Please let me know if I can clarify anything or if you have any questions.

1. H
            In reply tohicham04:
            @hicham04
              2024-01-09 17:52:54.167Z

Hi David, Thank you so much for your help, the code worked and got this response (see picture)

but now I do not have any screen showing , see picture

can you please help me again with that , thank you so much for your time

1. David @david2024-01-10 12:21:10.556Z

Thanks for the update! I'm sorry you're now experiencing this display issue.

Can you share a TinyPilot log for me to review? On your TinyPilot web interface, go to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL. Then paste the link in your reply.

2. H
                In reply tohicham04:
                @hicham04
                  2024-01-09 17:54:24.328Z

PS: I tried to restart tiny pilot and the desktop but still not working,

1. H
                    In reply tohicham04:
                    @hicham04
                      2024-01-10 12:38:38.538Z

Hi David,
                      here is the link : https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/fjUWGTC1
                      thank you so much for your help
                      best
                      Hicham

1. David @david2024-01-10 15:08:53.839Z

Thanks for sharing that log!

Have you had your TinyPilot showing your target machine's screen before?

Your logs are suggesting that your TinyPilot isn't receiving a signal from your target machine. Could you check that your HDMI cable is working correctly by testing it with a known working device?

2. H
                        In reply tohicham04:
                        @hicham04
                          2024-01-10 19:14:50.900Z

Hi Davis , thank you for your response, the setup was working perfectly , and I use it just before executing the code for edid, the desktop is on as I can access it via anydesk, the tiny pilot is connected to :

OREI HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 Out - 1x2 HDMI Display Duplicate/Mirror - Powered Splitter Full HD 1080P, 4K @ 30Hz

that is connected to :

KVM Switch HDMI 4 Port Box, AIMOS HDMI 2.0 KVM Switcher

that connect to the desktop

the whole setup was not touched and was perfectly working just before the change in EDID

I tried switching off and on the splitter while the tiny pilot was working,
                          and switching off and on the tiny pilot while the splitter is working

but still having the issue.
                          thank you so much for your help

1. David @david2024-01-11 12:28:31.312Z

Thanks for the info!

Can I ask why you decided to change your TinyPilot's EDID if everything was working perfectly?

I suspect this new issue may be because you have multiple devices chained together, and the new EDID isn't propagating through the system.

Could you power-off and disconnect all of those devices and then reconnect and power them one-by-one, working back from the desktop to your TinyPilot? I'm hoping that will allow the devices to negotiate the correct display settings again.

2. H
                            In reply tohicham04:
                            @hicham04
                              2024-01-11 17:16:47.421Z

Hi David,
                              I powered off all of them and started them back, but same problem.

I connected directly the desktop to the tiny pilot and it worked, with h264

I don't know if it is relevant but when I modified the EDID I was unable to use H264,
                              when I connected directly, I got back the H264

for the reason why I changed the EDID: everything was working perfectly but I was getting in my system the name of Tiny Pilot, and the setup controls 2 desktops: mine and the company's one.

what do you think we can do to solve the video transmission issue?
                              thank you again for all your efforts to help me solve this problem.

1. David @david2024-01-12 12:19:23.329Z

Thanks for all of those details! I forgot that our alternative EDID has a different product name, so that makes sense.

If you revert to TinyPilot's default EDID, does that fix your display issue when you connect through all of your devices? It would be great to confirm whether this is an issue with the EDID or something else.

Can I ask whether you're connecting to your TinyPilot over the Internet using a tool like Tailscale?

2. H
                                In reply tohicham04:
                                @hicham04
                                  2024-01-12 16:04:14.536Z

Hi David,
                                  I tried to revert back but got this message (in the photo),
                                  yes, I can access via tailscale, but to SSH and modify things, I have my desktop physically on the same network, I access my desktop via anydesk
                                  Best
                                  Hicham

1. David @david2024-01-16 11:28:55.834Z

Thanks for bumping this, Hicham! I'm sorry I missed your reply.

Thanks for sharing that screenshot - it looks like your previous EDID didn't get backed up when you changed your EDID. However, I think we can skip this for now.

From your description (H.264 only working when you're directly connected), it sounds like you may need to configure a STUN server for your TinyPilot. We've found that in certain setups a STUN server helps solve H.264 connection issues like this. Can you follow our FAQ guide and specify a STUN server in your TinyPilot's settings?

1. H@hicham04
                                        2024-01-16 11:37:43.133Z

Hi David,
                                        thank you for your response.
                                        I just tested it but still have the same problem
                                        Best
                                        Hicham

1. David @david2024-01-16 15:17:23.318Z

Thanks for the update.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that if you connect your TinyPilot directly to your desktop video works (with the new EDID).

Can you confirm that video works when your TinyPilot connects directly to your desktop (i.e., without the HDMI splitter & KVM switch)? Could you test this on your local network as well as via Tailscale and let me know whether both configurations are working?

1. H@hicham04
                                              2024-01-16 18:19:30.616Z

Hi David,
                                              Yes it works with the new EDID in H264 mode when connected directly (without KVM splitter and HDMI switch) on tailescale and localy ,
                                              but when I go through the splitter and switch it is not working either locally or with tailescale

1. David @david2024-01-17 12:09:03.704Z

Ok, great! If your TinyPilot displays the video locally and via Tailscale when connected directly to your desktop, that suggests that the issue lies with your HDMI splitter or KVM switch.

Can you test your TinyPilot connected to only the HDMI splitter and desktop?

And could you also test your TinyPilot connected only to the KVM switch and desktop?

Those tests should help us determine whether one of those devices is causing an issue here.

1. H@hicham04
                                                    2024-01-17 12:58:30.899Z

Hi David,
                                                    Yes, I will do. this may take some days as the guy who is changing the setup for me will be absent.
                                                    I will let you know when done
                                                    thanks for your help
                                                    Best
                                                    Hicham

1. David @david2024-01-17 18:54:39.733Z

No problem! Please keep me updated.

2. H
                                          In reply tohicham04:
                                          @hicham04
                                            2024-01-16 09:00:35.382Z

Hi David,
                                            Any news on my issue?
                                            thank you so much for your time
                                            best
                                            Hicham