No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Keyboard-Layout for Non-US users

By @wsxws
    2024-01-20 18:40:00.626Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi there,
    is there a way to change the keyboard-layout to german layout ?
    its really annoying while typing passwords
    best regards

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 3 replies
    1. David @david2024-01-22 19:20:37.440Z

Hi @wsxws, I'm sorry you're running into keyboard issues with your TinyPilot.

TinyPilot interprets your client machine's keypresses and forwards them to your target machine. The character that your target machine displays is based on the target machine's keyboard layout, so there isn't a 'layout' that TinyPilot uses that you can change.

Having said that, we recently had an issue with the German < key in this thread. In short, the German < key is misinterpreted on Chrome and Safari browsers. So if you're trying to type a character with that key in those browsers, you may actually see the wrong key. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy fix for this since it's a browser issue. So my only suggestion if this is the issue you're running into is to try using Firefox instead.

If your issue isn't with the < key, can you share which characters you're having issues with so I can take a look into this?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

ReplySolution
      1. W@wsxws
          2024-01-31 21:42:42.064Z

Thanks for explainations, sometimes a lttle more text helps a lot.
          i normally connect to my targetmachines via ssh and keyboard there was set to german, but after your hints i checked again and keyboard-setting for direct use wasnt set properly.
          your fine tinypilot-software works pefect as soon as the 'pebkac' becomes removed ;)

my only open wish atm would be to run it on a raspi 5 with 64bit os ;) (would be much smother and csi-card would work with 60fps)

1. David @david2024-02-01 11:35:50.269Z

You're welcome! I'm happy you're up and running!

my only open wish atm would be to run it on a raspi 5 with 64bit os ;) (would be much smother and csi-card would work with 60fps)

Thanks for the suggestion! We've found issues with Bookworm compatibility, so we have open GitHub tickets for those issues. I believe once those Bookworm compatibility issues resolve, TinyPilot should also be able to run on a Raspberry Pi 5 - though we haven't tested that yet.

You're welcome to subscribe to the issue for notifications, or if you'd like, we welcome help from anyone that wants to work on any of these tasks.

Feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions.