SSH error, cannot login, which I need to do to update my TailScale

By @nougatmachine
    2024-02-07 05:15:24.739Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Hi, when I try to log in to tinypilot via SSH, I get this:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    @ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
    Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
    It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
    The fingerprint for the ED25519 key sent by the remote host is
    [redacted].
    Please contact your system administrator.
    Add correct host key in /Users/[redacted]/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
    Offending [redacted] key in /Users/[redacted]/.ssh/known_hosts:3
    Host key for tinypilot has changed and you have requested strict checking.
    Host key verification failed.

Without the ability to login via SSH, I can't update my TailScale. It seems like I need to do that, because I no longer can log in remotely over the internet. My TailScale configuration says:

"Security update available
    This machine is running a version with a known security vulnerability. It’s recommended to update to 1.58.2."

But, the instructions required to update the machine use SSH.

So, I can't access tinypilot remotely, because TailScale isn't working, and to make TailScale work, I have to update it, which requires using SSH, which isn't working.

I think I have this all right?

• 3 replies
    1. C

Hi @nougatmachine, thank you for your message. I'm sorry you're having trouble accessing your TinyPilot device over SSH.

The SSH error message can have several causes, so we'll need to investigate further. Once you have access via SSH, we'll then be able to explore the Tailscale issue.

The most common explanation for the SSH error message is that you've recently factory reset your TinyPilot device. Can you please confirm if you've factory reset your TinyPilot device since you last connected to it over SSH?

1. N@nougatmachine
          2024-02-08 00:54:15.343Z

No, I have not. I have not changed or altered its configuration in any way for quite some time.

1. Thanks for getting back to me!

The most likely explanation if your TinyPilot device hasn't been factory reset is that something between your computer and the TinyPilot device is interfering with the connection. Legitimate causes for this include firewalls, security software, and so on.

It sounds like this is a new problem, so to help me diagnose the issue, can you please describe how you set up your TinyPilot initially? For example, are your computer and the TinyPilot device on the same local network, who controls the network(s), and does Tailscale still show either device as online?