No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Instructions do not explain what file to access in TP for static ip settings. Please help.

By Jeff McDaniel @mrbcast
    2024-02-28 20:39:15.860Zassigned to
    • @david

I just unboxed my new Tiny Pilot and hooked it up. Works great, but the only problem is that I don't have sufficient instructions on your site of where to go to put the info in after ssh into the box. Please advise as to step by step what file to use and where to find it. Thanks,
    Jeff McDaniel

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2024-02-29 19:43:28.860Z

Hi @mrbcast, I'm sorry you're running into this issue setting a static IP.

After re-reading the instructions in our FAQ, I can appreciate that it's a little unclear what to do since it's not explicit.

With an ssh connection to your TinyPilot, you need to copy and paste the following snippet and run it to set up some environment variables. You should edit the IP addresses in the snippet first to match your desired configuration:

TINYPILOT_STATIC_IP="10.0.0.223/24" # Set to your desired IP address / netmask
      ROUTERS="10.0.0.1"                  # Set to your router's IP address
      # Choose your preferred DNS settings. The default DNS setting (below) queries
      # your router's DNS, then Google (8.8.8.8), then Cloudflare (1.1.1.1).
      DNS="${ROUTERS} 8.8.8.8 1.1.1.1"

As a quick example, if I wanted to set my TinyPilot's static IP to 192.168.0.100, I'd edit the IP address in the first line of the snippet to TINYPILOT_STATIC_IP="192.168.0.100/24" (assuming the netmask of /24 is correct for the configuration). Then I'd edit the other lines. Once the configuration in the variables looks good, copy and paste into your TinyPilot's prompt and hit Enter.

Once you've set up the environment variables with the first snippet, you just need to run the second snippet (which uses the variables you just set up) to actually apply the settings. Simply copy and paste the snippet, then hit Enter to run it - you don't need to make any changes to this one:

/opt/tinypilot-privileged/scripts/set-static-ip \
        --ip "${TINYPILOT_STATIC_IP}" \
        --router "${ROUTERS}" \
        --dns "${DNS}" && \
        sudo reboot

I hope that clarifies the process for setting a static IP address!

Please let me know if you have any questions.