No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

Detailed Administrator Documentation & Remote Access Options

By Sam Bay @baybo
    2024-03-12 21:33:51.806Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi there,

I'm trying to evaluate TinyPilot but I didn't discover detailed documentation about its configuration or features on the website. My apologies if I missed something obvious.

Specifically, I would like to understand if the devices can be configured so that when we ship them to a client location, they would give us remote access to the local network once plugged in.

I.e. Are the devices capable of forming an SSL VPN or tcp connection back to a server assuming they can communicate on destination TCP port 443. I would like to avoid having to configure port forwards at remote sites.

If someone can point me in the direction of the appropriate docs I am happy to dig through and do my own research.

Regards,

SB

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2024-03-13 19:23:56.457Z

Hi @baybo, thanks for your questions!

Typically, TinyPilot users looking for remote access will use a third-party tool like Tailscale or remote.it. We have a top-level guide for remote access in our FAQ along side tutorials for setting up Tailscale and remote.it. TinyPilot also supports port forwarding.

TinyPilot runs on a Debian 11 (Bullseye) based operating system with full access to the Linux shell, so you can customize and configure your TinyPilot however you like.

So you should be able to configure a TinyPilot device to work remotely before sending it to a remote site.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions!