No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Severely Delayed Video?

By @marsinleo
    2024-03-22 14:29:41.145Zassigned to
    • @david

HI, I need help. I can see the mouse moving on my Desktop that has the tinypilot connected to it but on my MacBook the movements are severely delayed. The delay is about 30-45 seconds for me to see what it has happening. Log is here : https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/eKPU1S0T

Solved in post #7, click to view
    • 7 replies
    1. David @david2024-03-22 15:30:34.697Z

Hi @marsinleo, I'm sorry you're running into this latency issue on your MacBook.

And thanks for sharing those logs! Those logs don't suggest there's any issues with your TinyPilot that would impact latency.

Can I ask whether you're accessing your TinyPilot web interface remotely over the Internet with a tool like Tailscale or remote.it? And could you tell me which browser you're using on your MacBook (i.e., Safari, Chrome, etc.) to access the TinyPilot web interface?

In the meantime, could you try some of the latency reduction techniques in our FAQ and see if any of those help improve latency here?

1. M@marsinleo
          2024-03-22 15:45:48.963Z

Hi,

I have tried both to connect via safari and chrome using the direct tinypilot.local and through tailscale. Same delay. I’ve restarted the MacBook, the host computer, and the tinypilot. The mouse I’m using for my MacBook works on my desktop in real time but the video is just extremely behind. I’ve tried both connection via WiFi and Directly to the modem using an Ethernet cord.

1. David @david2024-03-22 19:25:54.062Z

Thanks for the detail!

Has this latency issue only recently surfaced, specifically on your MacBook? Or have you always experienced this latency across different client machines?

Can you try adjusting your TinyPilot's video settings to reduce the frame rate and bit rate and see if that helps? 15 fps and 1Mb/s are reasonable starting points.

1. M@marsinleo
                2024-03-28 15:26:36.529Z

Hi,

I have only recently started having the latency issue. Specifically on my MacBook. I recently updated the software on my MacBook and the latency has decreased some but there is currently about a 3-5 second lag. This is after updating my video settings to the ones recommended above.

2. M
            In reply tomarsinleo:
            @marsinleo
              2024-03-28 16:43:47.060Z

Hi Everyone,

I found the issue! I simply needed to plug the ethernet cord into the 2.5 speed port not the 1.0 speed port. This has fixed the latency.

ReplySolution
              1. David @david2024-03-29 12:12:27.369Z

Thanks for the update, @marsinleo! I'm glad you've found a solution.

Feel free to reach out again in the future if you have any questions.

2. Progress
                with handling this problem
              3. M
                @marsinleo
                  2024-03-22 15:47:34.300Z

I also want to add that when using my MacBook for anything other than the tiny pilot webpage I have no latency.