No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Fan runs often and there is an electronic 'burn' smell

By Richard Smith @rls2org
    2024-03-29 14:42:01.416Zassigned to
    • @david

I received my TinyPilot this week. I am using it to control a Windows 10 ThinkPad laptop. Today is the first day I have used it for an extended persion. The fan is running often and fast enough for me to clearly hear it. Also, there is an electronic burn smell.

• 4 replies
    1. David @david2024-04-01 11:13:51.477Z

Hi @rls2org, I'm sorry you're experiencing these issues with your TinyPilot's fan.

If your fan is giving off a distinct electrical burning smell, I'd encourage you to stop using your TinyPilot for now. If you're comfortable with it, you can open your TinyPilot and disconnect the fan as a temporary measure. I'll note that if your TinyPilot's CPU gets too hot, it will start throttling performance.

I've reached out to our customer support team who will be able to help with your options a bit further. You should receive an email from them soon.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. T
        In reply torls2org:
        Richard Smith @tjbeach
          2024-04-01 12:50:53.915Z

The electronic burn smell dissipated after awhile. The fan still turns on often but I assume that is "operating as designed"?

1. David @david2024-04-01 18:39:16.959Z

The fan still turns on often but I assume that is "operating as designed"?

Yes - the fan turns on when TinyPilot's CPU reaches 60°C to help keep it cool. If the CPU temperature drops back down below a threshold, the fan will turn off.

The ambient temperature, airflow, and load on the CPU all factor into the temperature of the system and the fan's behavior.

I believe a member of our customer support team has reached out to you about your fan, too.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

2. T
            In reply torls2org:
            Richard Smith @tjbeach
              2024-04-01 19:13:11.876Z

Someone from support did reach out. I am all set now.