No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Rename Audio Device Name "Toshiba-H2C" from EDID

By a7673 @a7673
    2024-04-02 04:42:50.285Z2024-04-02 04:50:54.804Zassigned to
    • @david

I want to rename the Audio Device "Toshiba-H2C" to "Generic Audio" or something else not from Windows command 'mmsys.cpl' but in EDID HEX (I could only change the Display name to "LG Display") but audio device still shows "Toshiba-H2C", can you please share some steps?
    I am using AW EDID Editor on MAC v3.0.20.

I am successful at changing the EDID by following - https://tinypilotkvm.com/faq/change-edid/

Screenshots:

See Block 3:

See Block 4:

• 3 replies
    1. David @david2024-04-02 12:51:26.413Z

Hi @a7673, thanks for your question!

If you've created a new EDID with AW EDID editor and installed it using a command based on the one in our How do I change my TinyPilot's EDID? FAQ, you may still need to edit the name in mmsys.cpl.

We've found that Windows tends to cache the product name as the previous name, even after changing the EDID. So I suggest editing the name directly with mmsys.cpl by following the instructions in our FAQ if you've altered the EDID and Windows hasn't updated the name.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. A
        In reply toa7673:
        a7673 @a7673
          2024-04-03 18:27:20.127Z

Is it possible to set the Device name to Something else instead of "Toshiba-H2C" within the EDID itself using the AW EDID Editor tool? if so where/which section I have to go to make these changes?

1. David @david2024-04-04 11:00:50.008Z

Is it possible to set the Device name to Something else instead of "Toshiba-H2C" within the EDID itself using the AW EDID Editor tool?

Yes, you can edit the Display Product Name value that you showed in your screenshot to alter your TinyPilot's device name.

Once you have the new EDID, you'll need to change the EDID on your TinyPilot by using a command like the one in our FAQ. We have a Python utility you can use to generate the command from your EDID file.

Even if you change the EDID on your TinyPilot, Windows may still display the old display name because of caching, so you may still need to edit it with mmsys.cpl.

I hope that helps!