No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

How do we know when it's safe to unplug power?

By @luckman212
    2024-04-18 19:03:59.825Zassigned to
    • @cghague

When shutting down the TinyPilot itself (Voyager2a PoE), I notice the fans stay on and spinning eternally. How do I know when it's safe to unplug the unit? I have already corrupted my SDcard once apparently from disconnecting too early. Is there any externally visible indicator (LED pattern, etc) to know for sure?

• 3 replies
    1. C

Hi @luckman212, thanks for your question about powering off a TinyPilot device.

You can safely turn off your TinyPilot device by going to System, then Power, then Shutdown. After a few moments, you should see a screen confirming that your TinyPilot device has shut down. It is safe to disconnect the power supply at this point.

1. L
        In reply toluckman212:
        @luckman212
          2024-04-19 00:29:52.398Z

On my system, a message that it's safe to unplug never appears. After clicking the shutdown button, the dialog box remains on the screen. About 4 seconds later, the LEDs above the Ethernet port go dark (but red power LED remains on, as do the fans...)

1. Thank you for getting back to me.

I'm unaware of any issues preventing the shutdown confirmation from being shown - it's possible your browser isn't updating the page once the connection drops. For reference, the fans will stay on and the power light will remain illuminated even after a complete shutdown if the TinyPilot device is still connected to a power supply.

The shutdown process usually takes under 30 seconds, so for a cautious approach, I recommend waiting about a minute after requesting a shutdown before disconnecting the power. The Ethernet connection is one of the last parts of the system to go down, so the link and activity lights are a good indicator of how the shutdown is progressing.