2. Technical Support

Data port not working

By Charles Hague @cghague2024-04-22 23:24:46.965Zassigned to
  • @cghague

• 10 replies
  1. Y
    Yusuf Yakut @yyakut
      2024-04-22 15:37:58.740Z

I have the same issue here. I've been using my tinypilot for one year and did not have any issues so far but my data port suddenly stop working. I made sure it's not a cable issue since I tried different usb cables which I'm sure they are working. Need your help for this issue.

1. Hi Yusuf, thanks for your message. I'm sorry you're having issues with your data port. I've moved your message into a new thread so we can investigate your problem without mixing it up with the existing one.

Can you please send me a link to your logs? You can do this by going to System, then Logs, then Get Shareable URL. The logs will provide information that will help me investigate the problem.

1. YYusuf Yakut @yyakut
            2024-04-22 23:53:43.897Z
            1. Thanks for getting back to me!

I’ve reviewed your logs and can see that your TinyPilot device is trying to send keystrokes to the target computer, so we’ll need to investigate further.

Can you please check if the target computer detects your TinyPilot device as a keyboard and mouse? You can do this on Windows using the Device Manager application.

Can you please also try your TinyPilot device with a different target computer? This test could help us to determine if the issue is isolated to one machine.

1. YYusuf Yakut @yyakut
                  2024-04-24 17:02:59.766Z
                  1. YYusuf Yakut @yyakut
                      2024-04-24 17:04:35.929Z

My laptop is giving the error that I shared above. I tried different laptops and cables, result is the same, am getting the same error notification on the right bottom of the screen.

1. Thanks for getting back to me with the screenshot and additional details.

Unfortunately, it looks like your TinyPilot device isn't presenting itself correctly as a USB device. There could be a few reasons for this, including a hardware fault or a software issue.

I appreciate it's a hassle, but could you please try a factory reset? The reset will ensure your TinyPilot device is running a completely clean and working copy of the software and will confirm whether the issue is hardware or software-based.

1. YYusuf Yakut @yyakut
                            2024-04-26 17:10:20.127Z

Hi Charles, factory reset did not work as well. What other options we have?

1. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly; I'm sorry to hear that a factory reset didn't help. It's possible but unlikely that the USB-C "data" port on the TinyPilot device has developed a fault.

I'd be happy to ask our customer support team to contact you to discuss what repair options are available, but before we do, can I check that you're using a direct connection from the USB-C "data" port to the target computer (e.g., no hubs) and that the USB-C port itself is clear of dust and obstructions?

2. Y
                In reply tocghague:
                Yusuf Yakut @yyakut
                  2024-04-25 22:00:06.114Z

Any update on that?