No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

TinyPilot with 502 Error

By @nomad
    2024-04-24 12:57:04.965Zassigned to
    • @david

Hello -

I have a Voyager 2a TinyPilot. While trying to access it this morning, I received a 502 Error: "TinyPilot is Not Running." I tried Solution 1: "Restart the TinyPilot service" and Solution 2: "Restart your TinyPilot" without luck. I have not tried Solution 3: "Reset your TinyPilot to factory settings" to avoid going through the initial setup. I uploaded the log: https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/XBCWi81O

Please advise.

Solved in post #4, click to view
    • 4 replies
    1. In reply tonomad:
      David @david2024-04-24 18:25:58.431Z

Hi @nomad, I'm sorry you're running into this error on your TinyPilot.

Thanks for sharing those logs!

Your log looks a little broken in places, so it's not showing some information. But the log is suggesting that the tinypilot service fails because of missing files/directories:

Failed at step EXEC spawning /opt/tinypilot/venv/bin/python: No such file or directory

Symptoms like this are usually caused by filesystem corruption on your microSD card. My normal recommendation here is to re-flash your microSD card to get back up and running with a fresh installation.

Since you'd like to avoid a factory reset, another potential option is to uninstall and then reinstall the TinyPilot Pro software on your device.

First, visit the download page, verify your license details, and locate the instructions for a command line installation. Don't run the commands just yet - you'll need to uninstall the TinyPilot software first.

SSH into your TinyPilot and run the following command to uninstall the TinyPilot software:

sudo apt remove --yes tinypilot

Now follow the command line installation instructions from the download page.

Once the installation completes, you should be able to start using your TinyPilot device as normal.

I'll note that even if re-installing TinyPilot Pro gets you back up and running, it may only be a temporary fix. We don't know the extent of the corruption or which files are missing, so it's possible that the system isn't recoverable.

If you do re-flash your device in the future, I'd recommend enabling the read-only filesystem to help prolong the life of your microSD card.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. N@nomad
          2024-04-27 21:25:00.839Z

Hi @david -

Thank you for your prompt response. Unfortunately, uninstalling and reinstalling the TinyPilot Pro software directly on the device didn't work. I had to re-flash (factory reset) the device to get the device working again. I also enabled the read-only filesystem to prolong the microSD card.

I appreciate your help!

ReplySolution
          1. David @david2024-04-29 11:08:41.984Z

Thanks for the update, @nomad!

Unfortunately, it sounds like this was an instance where the filesystem corruption made the system irrecoverable, requiring a full factory reset.

I'm glad you're now back up and running with the read-only filesystem!

Please reach out again if you have any questions.

• Progress
          with handling this problem
        • N
          @nomad
            2024-04-24 18:21:21.378Z

I currently can't physically access the TinyPilot device to perform a factory reset. Meanwhile, I tried reinstalling TinyPilot using "curl -L https://tinypilotkvm.com/pro/install.sh | sh". I now got error 404 after reinstalling. I will try to perform the factory reset when I have a chance.