No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Tiny Pilot not running

By @topangan
    2024-04-28 23:47:56.747Zassigned to
    • @david

Hello,
    Have a TinyPilot voager that for some reason will not let me connect (i have previously been able to connect to it). When I go to the browser to try and connect, I get the message "Tiny Pilot is not running". I was able to ssh into the device and i put in the command sudo service tinypilot status, and received this:
    ā— tinypilot.service - TinyPilot - RPi-based virtual KVM
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tinypilot.service; enabled; vendor pre>
    Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2024-04-28>
    Process: 3588 ExecStart=/opt/tinypilot/venv/bin/python app/main.py (code=ex>
    Main PID: 3588 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

I tried to do a restart (sudo service tinypilot restart) but nothing happens. Not sure what next steps to take so if anyone has any guidance, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• 5 replies
    1. David @david2024-04-30 10:39:32.345Z

Hi @topangan, I'm sorry you're running into this issue with your TinyPilot software.

Thanks for sharing that output - is there any additional output after the exit code line with an error or anything like that? If so, could you share it? That would help with diagnosing the underlying issue.

Usually, when we see that the TinyPilot service fails to run, it's often because of filesystem corruption damaging files that TinyPilot requires to run.

My recommendation would be to perform a factory reset to get back up and running. Or, if you'd prefer, I can continue helping to troubleshoot to confirm the underlying issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. T@topangan
          2024-05-03 14:22:31.028Z

I did not see any other error information however, I did see it was asking me to assign a language and region which I thought was odd since I had already set up the device. Anyway, I will reset the device and start from there. I will post an update here once that is done.

1. David @david2024-05-06 10:57:06.534Z

Thanks for the update, @topangan. Those missing settings also point towards filesystem corruption, so this definitely sounds like something that a factory reset would resolve.

Please let me know how it goes.

1. T@topangan
                2024-05-07 03:22:22.433Z

completed the factory reset and that seemed to solve the problem as I was able to reinstall tailscale without issue. Not sure what caused the problem as i purchased the device, installed tailscale and put it back in the box. It sat dormant for 5 months as I am just ready to start using it when the issue arose. I have 2 other devices that have been working fine (same setup) so maybe this was just an isolated incident. Anyways, thanks for the assistance.

1. David @david2024-05-07 11:22:44.406Z

Thanks for the update @topangan, I'm glad you're back up and running.

If you powered off your TinyPilot by pulling its power plug, that may have caused filesystem corruption in this instance. I recommend shutting down your TinyPilot devices by using the shutdown option in the menu: System > Power > Shutdown.

I'd also recommend enabling TinyPilot's read-only filesystem to help increase the lifetime of your microSD card and reduce the risk of filesystem corruption from unplanned shutdowns.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.