No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

New TinyPilot Power module, USB is maybe loose?

By Jeff Day @jeffday
    2024-05-10 03:06:35.570Zassigned to
    • @david

Hey, I just got a new TinyPilot and am attempting to use it with a new micro USB cable. At first it did nothing, then I realized if I apply pressure a certain direction on the micro USB power socket, the LED comes on. if pressure (even gravity) is applied the other direction, the power LED turns off (as does the rasberry pi) ... Is it possible that the socket wasn't soldered in properly before assembly? Or is this type of socket notoriously loose?

• 5 replies
    1. David @david2024-05-10 09:12:34.707Z

Hi @jeffday, I'm sorry you're experiencing issues powering your device.

Hardware issues are quite rare, so I'd like to explore a little further to see if there's anything else going on.

Could you confirm that your Raspberry Pi powers on normally without the power module? Can you tell me what kind of power supply you're using?

If you have photos of the setup (or the suspected bad USB socket), that would help a ton, but don't worry if not.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. JJeff Day @jeffday
          2024-05-10 17:15:31.030Z

David, no problem, thank you for the quick response. I will post some photos when i'm back in the studio with it later on. Yes, it powers on normally without it. It is very sensitive, and if I wiggle the connector between the tinypilot and the usb power brick even a small bit (on the tinypilot side), the power LED and the Raspberry Pi both turn off. I have to be super careful not to touch it right now if I want it to be on steady for any length of time. I'll take some photos soon.

1. JJeff Day @jeffday
              2024-05-10 18:29:20.018Z

I posted a video link below in "progress" (unsure if progress or reply is what I should have used.)

1. David @david2024-05-10 18:57:28.166Z

Thanks for the video! That definitely doesn't look right. I've asked out customer support team to reach out to you to get this fixed - you should receive an email from them soon.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

2. Progress
            with handling this problem