No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

No Video after PC restart

By Brad @npibrad
    2024-05-13 13:16:18.095Zassigned to
    • @david

After receiving the TinyPilot 2a got it installed and all worked perfectly. I removed the existing monitor, keyboard and mouse and replaced with the cables connecting to the TinyPilot. Again it worked perfectly. I am using the HDMI to VGA purchased with the device. Although after I restart the PC that is connected to the TinyPilot I do not get any video signal. I found that if I disconnect the Tiny Pilot, reconnect the original monitor, restart the PC I get a video signal on the monitor. I Then connect the TinyPilot and I get a video signal. The problem is anytime I restart the PC with the Tiny Pilot connected to the VGA I will no longer get a signal. What is it that I need to do so that I can continue to get a video signal after restarting the PC?

• 5 replies
    1. David @david2024-05-14 11:13:52.542Z

Hi @npibrad, I'm sorry you're running into this video issue when you restart your PC.

And thanks for sharing all those details!

It's interesting that your TinyPilot receives a signal after you connect a monitor to your PC but not otherwise.

Can you tell me more about the target machine and its monitor? For example, is this a typical desktop PC or something else? A make/model would be super useful. For the monitor, do you happen to know the resolution it typically uses?

Could you share a couple of TinyPilot logs for me to review? Ideally one log from when the video is working, and another when it's not so I can check the behavior in both scenarios.

On the TinyPilot web interface, go to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL. Then paste the links in your reply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. NBrad @npibrad
          2024-05-14 13:52:16.627Z

@david

Thank you for your reply. Here is the sharable URL for the logs when it is not working. In this log set the video has not been working at all (https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/kZQfpX6V). I restarted the TinyPilot (had to move some wires around), reconnected the device. Keep in mind I did not hook up and actual monitor to the PC since the TinyPilot restart. I will later today see if I can hook up a monitor and get it going and send those logs as well. In answer to your question about our system. The computer is a Dell Server PER440 running windows server 2019 Standard. Unfortunately the Dell does not have a HDMI port and only has VGA. I will reply later with the additional logs, when I connect a monitor, get a display, then hook up the TinyPilot.

1. David @david2024-05-15 11:35:59.187Z

Thanks for sharing that log!

Your TinyPilot appears to be working correctly. However, I can see that it's not capturing an image from your server.

It looks like the VGA adapter is defaulting to a resolution of 1920x1080, but the server isn't outputting at that resolution.

If your monitor isn't 1920x1080, it may cause your server to output at a different resolution. When you subsequently connect your TinyPilot, the server may continue outputting at the monitor's resolution, allowing your TinyPilot's VGA adapter to send an appropriate video signal to TinyPilot.

Are you able to change the default output resolution of your Windows 2019 Server? If possible, could you try changing it to one of the TinyPilot's supported VGA display settings?

A second log showing TinyPilot working would still be useful if you're able to capture one.

1. NBrad @npibrad
                2024-05-15 21:22:20.462Z

I attached a monitor to the pc, restated pc, then connected the TinyPilot. It worked as expected. Here is the logs as requested for when the TinyPilot is working (https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/XE1Ha1I9). Hopefully this will shed some more light on it the situation. If I am not mistaken the resolution of the pc is 1280x1024 which is, from what I have read, the max working resolution when utilizing the HDMI to VGA. Thank you.

1. David @david2024-05-16 11:25:41.184Z

Thanks for the second log!

I can see that your TinyPilot is receiving and displaying a 1280x1024 resolution at 60Hz after you connected the monitor. I think that may confirm my hypothesis that your display switches the output resolution of your server and then the server continues to output at that setting when you swap the TinyPilot in.

I took a look at the server technical guide, and it mentions there are two VGA connections - one on the front of the server, and a second on the rear. Do you know whether you can use these two outputs at the same time?

If you can connect two devices at the same time, could you simultaneously connect TinyPilot and the display to the server? Once connected, could you boot the server, navigate to Windows Server's display settings, and manually adjust the output resolution to TinyPilot to 1280x1024?

I'm hoping that changing the settings manually will cause the server to remember the appropriate display settings when you run with only TinyPilot.

Please let me know if you have any questions.