No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Display capture issue

By jeff @jeff
    2024-05-17 02:53:43.259Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Hi Guys,

I'm using an RPi4 with a USB HDMI capture card. Every time I reboot the RPi4, the screen cannot capture the target machine, and it only shows the color bar display. To resolve this, I need to reboot my target machine before it will display the output.

I wonder if this issue is because of using a USB HDMI capture card. Would changing to a CSI to HDMI converter board be better and resolve this issue?

My setup:

RPi4
    HDMI USB
    Target:

ESXi 8
    HDMI port output

• 4 replies
    1. C

Hi jeff, thanks for your message. I'm sorry you're having issues with video capture.

The color bars appear when the USB HDMI capture device doesn't recognize the signal from the target computer. This issue can be caused by many things, including a poor connection or incorrect settings.

Can you please try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable, trying a different HDMI cable, and lowering the resolution and refresh rate on the target computer? If that doesn't help, can you send me a link to your logs by going to System, then Logs, then Get Shareable URL?

1. Jjeff @jeff
          2024-05-18 03:46:45.963Z

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your support.
          I believe there might be an issue with my setup, or perhaps the resolution for TinyPilot is not supported by ESXi 8 DCUI.
          No problem, I'll see what I can do about this. Thanks again for your help.

1. In reply tocghague:
            Jjeff @jeff
              2024-05-18 06:08:54.425Z
              1. Thanks for sending the logs over! I've reviewed them and can see that TinyPilot is receiving video from the USB HDMI capture device, but the video only contains the color bars. This result supports the theory that the USB HDMI capture device can't find a valid signal. You might want to try testing with a different video source (e.g., a laptop), which might help narrow down the problem's cause.