No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Spanish qwerty keyboard bad maaping in Login prompt of Ubuntu machine

By Willy @wilotas
    2024-06-02 17:31:56.358Zassigned to
    • @david

Hi Guys,

I have connected my Tiny to an Intel NUC which has Ubuntu 22.04 installed. I can access and use Ubuntu without problems but if I lock desktop, when I put my password the keyboard distribution is not OK. For instance "_" character is on "?" in my querty distribution. Once I log in in Ubuntu, I can use it without problems. It seems something strange.

Could you help me on this?

Regards

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 3 replies
    1. David @david2024-06-03 12:04:30.545Z

Hi @wilotas, I'm sorry you're running into this keyboard mapping issue.

Based on your description, this sounds like an issue with how Ubuntu handles input on its login screen, rather than a TinyPilot issue. I've just tested this with an Ubuntu 22.04 virtual machine to confirm.

On the login screen, it looks like Ubuntu defaults US English as its language / layout, which explains why typing the Spanish _ results in a ?, since Ubuntu is interpreting the Spanish _ as the US ? (because they are the same keypress). I'm unsure whether this is expected behavior for every Ubuntu install, or if it's something to do with the initial set up process for Ubuntu.

On the Ubuntu login screen, do you see the keyboard language menu on the top right hand corner? If the keyboard language is set to English, it will show as en next to the accessibility options (depicted by a stick figure icon). If you don't see the keyboard layout selector, you'll need modify some settings to get it to appear (I had to do this in my test).

To enable the language input menu on Ubuntu's login screen, you can edit the /etc/default/keyboard file to include the es layout. You can do this with a command I've written.

Using your Ubuntu terminal, can you run the following command? This command will add the es layout to /etc/default/keyboard and it will allow you to switch the keyboard layout on Ubuntu's login window:

sudo sed --in-place 's/^XKBLAYOUT=.*/XKBLAYOUT="us,es"/' /etc/default/keyboard && \
      sudo sed --in-place 's/^XKBVARIANT=.*/XKBVARIANT=","/' /etc/default/keyboard

When you next logout to the login screen, you should see the keyboard layout on the top right-hand side of the window. If you click it, you should now be able to select es as the keyboard layout.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

ReplySolution
      1. WWilly @wilotas
          2024-06-03 13:36:57.817Z

Hi @david

Solved! As you said, it is the default behaviour of Ubuntu.

Thanks a lot for your support!

1. David @david2024-06-03 14:03:04.703Z

You're welcome! I'm glad we figured out the cause of the problem.

Feel free to reach out again if you have any questions.