No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Strange display corruption

By Brendan D @beedevxyz
    2024-06-06 21:30:46.002Zassigned to
    • @david

I have an ancient server I am having issue with. Tinypilot boots at 640x480, but then once it boots into an OS the display gets corrupted.

I tried the EDID fix, but to no avail.

Trying to recover a system that is having issues but cannot get in.

https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/7BjM0hmj

• 3 replies
    1. David @david2024-06-07 11:09:08.675Z

Hi @beedevxyz, I'm sorry you're experiencing this display issue.

And thanks for sharing those details, screenshots, and logs!

Those logs show the initial 640x480 resolution and then shows your TinyPilot is receiving a resolution of 640x416 at 70Hz after the display settings switch. I suspect 640x416 may not be the actual resolution your server is outputting. TinyPilot doesn't support 640x416, so I'd normally expect it to display "No Signal" here.

Do you happen to know the resolution your server would normally output here when connected to a physical display?

Can I confirm that you're using a VGA adapter?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. B
        In reply tobeedevxyz:
        Brendan D @beedevxyz
          2024-06-07 13:24:20.930Z

Hi @david
          I do not know what resolution is attempting to be output unfortunately, since the server is inaccessible at the moment.

I am using the onboard VGA out on the server, to the official tinypilot vga>hdmi adapter, to the tinypilot HDMI to the pi.

1. David @david2024-06-10 11:13:52.736Z

Thanks for the confirmation!

Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a good way to troubleshoot this to get the system working if you don't have access to the server. If your server is outputting one resolution, but reporting that it's using a different one, this is a difficult situation - TinyPilot displays the resolution the VGA adapter/target machine reports to it.

Do you know if there's a way to change the display output settings on your server?

Do you know the make/model/specs/OS of the server? I can do some digging to see if there's any other information I can find.

Please let me know if you have any questions.