No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

mouse wheel scrolling not completely captured

By Vishank Parikh @vishankparikh
    2024-06-08 14:09:32.341Zassigned to
    • @david

Hello, I've submitted a support ticket regarding an issue with my TinyPilot setup. Here are the details:

I'm utilizing TinyPilot to facilitate remote access for an individual located in India.

TinyPilot Details:

• Connected to MacBook Pro: Sonoma 14.5
    • Internet Download/Upload Speed: 300 Mbps

Remote Setup:

• Device: MacBook Pro - Sonoma 14.5
    • Browser: Chrome/Chrome Incognito/Safari
    • Internet Download/Upload Speed: 100 Mbps

Both the TinyPilot connected MacBook and the remote MacBook have identical trackpad and scroll settings.

Interestingly, when I access TinyPilot using my personal MacBook (a different one) connected to a mobile hotspot in the USA, the scroll function operates smoothly.

However, when attempting to access TinyPilot from three different systems in India (two MacBook Pros and one Windows device), all experience extremely slow scrolling, rendering it practically unusable.

I'm using the latest version of TinyPilot.

Thank you for your assistance in resolving this matter.

• 12 replies
    1. V
      Vishank Parikh @vishankparikh
        2024-06-08 14:12:35.276Z

I am using TailScale aswell

1. V
          In reply tovishankparikh:
            2024-06-08 14:25:10.334Z

Also, there is similar lag between, key strokes, mouse movement and mouse clicks across all the systems connected, only the scroll is not working as expected from India locations

1. V
                2024-06-08 18:13:31.378Z

FYI - scrolling using fn/option + up/down works fine

1. In reply tovishankparikh:
                  David @david2024-06-10 11:48:41.263Z

Hi @vishankparikh, I'm sorry you're running this scrolling issue.

Thanks for sharing all of those details and the TinyPilot log!

Since you've provided those details here on the forum, we'll continue working here, rather than via email.

Can I confirm that the scrolling issue is system-wide on the target MacBook (i.e., across all apps, not just browsers)?

I haven't tested MacBook -> MacBook scrolling with a TinyPilot. However, I know that MacBooks use inertial scrolling, so I'm wondering whether that is affecting this behavior.

For example, if latency is slightly too high between your client input and target input, it's possible the target MacBook may not recognize the scrolling as happening all at once, and is instead interpreting each scroll as multiple tiny bits of movement. Is that the behavior you're experiencing?

If so, could you try turning off inertial scroll on your MacBooks and see if that improves the scroll behavior?

To turn off inertial scrolling, in Settings, navigate to Accessibility > Pointer control > Trackpad options and toggle Use inertia when scrolling (off).

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. V
                      2024-06-10 13:06:00.200Z

Can I confirm that the scrolling issue is system-wide on the target MacBook (i.e., across all apps, not just browsers)? - Yes this is system wide I am not able to scroll inside any apps

try turning off inertial scroll - I tried turning off this on the macbook connected to tinypilot, I did not see any difference at all

Weird thing is any systems (Windows/Macbook) I connect from USA does not have a scroll issue.

1. VVishank Parikh @vishankparikh
                          2024-06-10 18:59:59.497Z

I tried to change settings on both the macbooks from India and USA. Still the same issue

1. David @david2024-06-11 12:01:03.164Z

Thanks for sharing the results of those tests.

It's interesting that this behavior is only occurring when connected Mac > Mac. I still suspect this might be due to the MacBooks' scroll settings and additional latency when connecting remotely from India.

Are you able to share a screen recording of the scroll behavior (i.e., on your client machine, scroll on the TinyPilot web interface showing that the target machine's poor scrolling)? That might help me understand the behavior a little more.

• V
                            2024-06-10 13:34:58.678Z

I have also tried changing some setting and scroll speed, still the same

1. V
                                2024-06-10 14:11:24.654Z

TinyPilot hooked up to Windows System -> Tried using it with a windows system from India - Scroll is working

1. V
                                    2024-06-10 14:32:49.319Z

we also just tried, with a wired regular mouse, wireless dongle mouse, apple trackpad and apple mouse, all are behaving the same

1. V
                                        2024-06-10 15:37:59.177Z

One more weird scenario

TinyPilot is connected to a MacBook in USA
                                        India Macbook is connected remotely to tinypilot
                                        Scroll is not working in any macos apps/browsers
                                        I opened a virtual desktop(windows) in macbook connected to tinypilot
                                        Scroll is working fine inside virtual desktop

This is really weird