No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Mouse is really lagging

By @fraserorr
    2024-06-10 03:38:16.968Zassigned to
    • @david

I have set up the TinyPilot and it is mostly fine (though I put the video output through a splitter and it doesn't seem powerful enough to appear on TinyPilot. However, It is ok if I eliminate the splitter, and hopefully an amplifier will fix this.)

However, what I can't fix is the mouse is VERY laggy. It trails behind the browser mouse by about one or two seconds and basically makes it close to unusable. It played with the video settings and they seem fine, the display doesn't lag and typing doesn't lag. Just the mouse cursor. I tried in Chrome and Edge. Running on Windows 10. Both computers are on the same LAN segment, so unlikely to be a network problem.

Any suggestions? If this is the mouse performance then I just can't use TinyPilot and will have to use a different solution entirely.

• 5 replies
    1. David @david2024-06-11 12:07:40.404Z

Hi @fraserorr, I'm sorry you're experiencing this mouse lag.

Thanks for all those details! If all of the other input seems ok, we'll have to troubleshoot this a little.

Could you share a TinyPilot log for me to review? On your TinyPilot web interface, go to System > Logs and click Get Shareable URL. Then paste the link in your reply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1. F@fraserorr
          2024-06-11 18:46:26.660Z

Thanks @david Here is the link you asked for. Would appreciate an help you can offer. I like the product a lot, if I can solve this issue it would be perfect for my needs.

https://logs.tinypilotkvm.com/8VXxgtde

1. David @david2024-06-12 11:43:19.746Z

Thanks for sharing that log!

The log shows that your H.264 video setting is set to use a bitrate of 20 Mb/s, which is TinyPilot's max bitrate. That high bitrate might explain this latency with the mouse cursor.

Could you try resetting the H.264 bitrate to 5.00 Mb/s (TinyPilot's default)?

On TinyPilot's web interface, navigate to System > Video settings, make sure you're using H.264 mode and then use the slider to drop your bitrate to Bit 5.00 Mb/s (or click Reset to default). Click Apply to save the changes.

Please let me know if that helps.

1. F@fraserorr
                2024-06-14 04:18:04.376Z

That did help, I fiddled with the settings and it improved. However, it is still pretty sluggish.

1. David @david2024-06-14 12:45:24.165Z

Thanks for the update!

If reducing the bit rate helped, it's definitely worth trying to tune latency even more. Could you try reducing your TinyPilot's bit rate even further and try reducing the frame rate slightly to see if that improves the mouse performance even further?