No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Connecting to Tiny Pilot

By Enoch @enoch7
    2022-10-23 01:10:55.515Z2022-10-25 21:46:18.120Z

I just got a Tiny Pilot and I am excited, however I have some hurdles to cross.

1. I do not have a router where I am staying, currently connected to a hotspot. This prevents me from having an IP address associated with my TinyPilot

2. My TinyPilot is plugged into the computer and power adapter (no ethernet connection) however I am not able to access my TinyPilot locally.

3. Is it necessary to have an ethernet cable connected directly to the TinyPilot from the router in order to have remote access to my device?

4. Can I get a router, connect the router to the hotspot then connect the hotspot to the Tiny Pilot? Will this work?

5. I am on a mac, I cant find the best client to use for SSH and accessing the Tiny Pilot locally.

6. Can I have root access to my TinyPilot? Is it possible for me to get the password emailed over? I've noticed this only gives us access to pilot.

7. I am looking to allow mic & Audio relay through my TinyPilot is this possible? I am being told to look into JackTrip & Jack being installed on the KVM https://gist.github.com/Overemployed/f30db915ac5dcb0b3d17ea1b6310e5f2

• 6 replies
    1. C

Hi Enoch - congratulations on your new TinyPilot device!

I do not have a router where I am staying, currently connected to a hotspot. This prevents me from having an IP address associated with my TinyPilot

Your TinyPilot device needs a working network connection with a valid IP address in order to be accessible. The network connection can be provided either by a wired Ethernet cable or you can enable Wi-Fi.

My TinyPilot is plugged into the computer and power adapter (no ethernet connection) however I am not able to access my TinyPilot locally.

That's correct - all communication with your TinyPilot device takes place over the network. The USB-C cable doesn't provide network access - it's only there for mouse, keyboard and disk support.

Is it necessary to have an ethernet cable connected directly to the TinyPilot from the router in order to have remote access to my device?

We'd normally recommend a wired Ethernet connection for reliability purposes but Wi-Fi can be a viable alternative if that's not an option.

Your TinyPilot device will only be accessible over the local network but you can enable remote access over the internet using third-party tools.

Can I get a router, connect the router to the hotspot then connect the hotspot to the Tiny Pilot? Will this work?

The majority of home routers don't connect to existing networks. You may find some routers that can support this but it's worth noting that some hotspots actively prevent this from working.

I am on a mac, I cant find the best client to use for SSH and accessing the Tiny Pilot locally.

The best SSH client can be very subjective. Fortunately, macOS has a built-in Terminal app that supports SSH and is ideal for accessing your TinyPilot device!

I hope this is helpful in getting you started with your new TinyPilot device - please let me know if you have any questions!

1. EEnoch @enoch7
          2022-10-25 21:44:17.164Z

@cghague

Thank you very much for your wonderful answers.

I finally got a wired connection u and running on my TinyPilot.

I have also finally been able to connect directly into the TinyPilot via SSH.

Q6:

Can I have root access to my TinyPilot?

Is it possible for me to get the password emailed over? I've noticed this only gives us access to pilot

Q7:

I am looking to allow mic & Audio relay through my TinyPilot is this possible? I am being told to look into JackTrip & Jack being installed on the KVM https://gist.github.com/Overemployed/f30db915ac5dcb0b3d17ea1b6310e5f2

What are your thoughts on this?

1. S@Supercell
              2023-05-28 03:27:22.361Z

Hi did you figure out how to pass audio and mic info between two machines? Would love some help or video overview?

2. C
            In reply toenoch7:

Thank you so much for the kind words!

The root user is disabled for security reasons but you can instead use sudo to run commands as root. For example, you could run sudo reboot to restart your TinyPilot device.

I'm not familiar with JackTrip but it sounds interesting. Unfortunately TinyPilot doesn't currently support audio capture from the target machine. Adding support for audio isn't currently part of our short-term roadmap, but we have an open GitHub issue for adding audio support if you'd like to subscribe to notifications.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

1. E
              In reply toenoch7:
              Enoch @enoch7
                2022-10-27 01:57:47.143Z

@cghague

You welcome!

So I see they opened a ticket for H264 support, however does that mean that it is transmitted through audio?

The ticket was closed.

Do I have to manually change the format of which is being streamed into the TinyPilot?

Thank you!

1. Unfortunately TinyPilot doesn't currently support any form of audio capture from the target machine and so the H264 support is only used for video. Adding support for audio isn't currently part of our short-term roadmap, but you might be able to use a third party solution for audio (such as the JackTrip software you mentioned). I'd recommend subscribing to the GitHub issue for adding audio support to be notified of any updates.