1. Home
  2. Technical Support

How to avoid hot keys in the OS

By @chao
    2023-06-18 06:04:11.752Zassigned to
    • @david

Similar to the question here.
    Browser hot-keys

One problem of running tinypilot, even if in app mode, is the operation system hot keys are still in effect. This is a big problem, for example I might want to switch workspaces in the tinypilot connected device. However, it switches workspace in my own computer because they have the same hot key.

How to avoid this issue?

Maybe need a custom OS that has no hot keys and only thing it does is opening a chrome instance that runs tinypilot.

• 1 replies
    1. David @david2023-06-19 11:21:54.485Z

Hi @chao, thanks for your question!

Depending on your target machine's operating system, it might be possible to edit its keyboard shortcuts to use a different meta key or key combination. You can usually edit these shortcuts in your operating system's keyboard settings. I understand it's not an ideal solution if you're used to using a specific combination, but it's a workaround that should work without interfering with your client machine's shortcuts. If it's your client machine's key shortcuts that are the issue, you could edit those instead.

Another alternative is to use your TinyPilot's on-screen keyboard and input the key combination there instead.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.