No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. General

Full disk encryption boot password

By JA @ponitech
    2023-12-28 00:03:18.340Zassigned to
    • @cghague

Is entering the disk encryption password at boot always a problem with TinyPilotKVM, or does it depend on specific laptop model/software?

Raising this topic again to see if there have been any solutions. The problem was first reported in this post, but no solution offered back then. One of my laptops has full disk encryption also.

It is really ironic that this otherwise working solution would get stopped in its tracks just because of a single issue of entering just one password at boot ☹

• 5 replies
    1. C

Hi @ponitech, thanks for your question about using TinyPilot to unlock encrypted disks.

Most interfaces for unlocking encrypted disks have restricted support for input devices. In the case of many laptops, only the internal keyboard will work, but for desktops and some other laptops, a subset of USB input devices will also work.

Unfortunately, a lack of documentation makes it difficult to determine what input devices will work for unlocking disks on any particular system. However, testing your system with a USB keyboard connected via a USB hub might provide an indication.

Do you already have a TinyPilot device that is being affected by this issue? If so, I'd be happy to suggest a few workarounds with which other users have reported success that you might wish to try.

1. PJA @ponitech
          2023-12-28 04:34:18.931Z

Thank you for your quick reply.
          I plan on purchasing TinyPilot soon, but this unlock issue got me concerned. I will test the keyboard with a hub as you have suggested. It would be good to know what options I may have later in case it does not work out of the box.

I would appreciate if you could give me a general idea about the potential workarounds, without going into details at this stage. I could not locate any more discussions on the forum.

1. Thanks for getting back to me.

The most successful approach we've seen regarding workarounds is booting a laptop with the built-in display closed, as that sometimes allows additional external inputs to work. However, only some laptops support powering on in this fashion.

Other workarounds include attaching a keyboard and a TinyPilot via a USB hub, changing restrictive BIOS settings where available, and modifying the power settings to prevent the device from entirely shutting down.

Not all of these workarounds will work for every device, and some might not apply to your use case, but hopefully, they will give you some idea of what options might be available.

I'd be happy to ask our customer support team to contact you to discuss what options might be available for evaluating a TinyPilot device. Please let me know if you'd like me to do so!

1. PJA @ponitech
                2023-12-31 23:59:00.810Z

Thank you very much for an overview of the options. I presume the closed-lid powering option is when the laptop is connected to a docking station capable of powering up the laptop with the closed lid, is that what you meant?

Also, would I have much better chances with a desktop compared to a laptop? For once, a desktop is guaranteed to support a USB keyboard at boot time, because it does not have any other way. Although it's still not guaranteed it will work with a USB hub at boot time, instead of a simple keyboard...

Thanks for the offer of support team contact - Sure I could use a little more guidance from your support team when they have time. Thanks!!

1. Thank you very much for an overview of the options. I presume the closed-lid powering option is when the laptop is connected to a docking station capable of powering up the laptop with the closed lid, is that what you meant?

You're exactly right. We've previously seen that laptops able to power on with the lid closed, either independently or via a suitable docking station, as you suggested, can be more accepting of external inputs.

Also, would I have much better chances with a desktop compared to a laptop? For once, a desktop is guaranteed to support a USB keyboard at boot time, because it does not have any other way. Although it's still not guaranteed it will work with a USB hub at boot time, instead of a simple keyboard...

I agree with your conclusion. Desktop systems must accept at least some external inputs to function, so it seems reasonable to assume they might be more tolerant of USB hubs and composite devices as there is a good chance the user might have connected the only keyboard in such a fashion.

Thanks for the offer of support team contact - Sure I could use a little more guidance from your support team when they have time. Thanks!!

Thanks for confirming; I've asked our customer support team to contact you via e-mail. You should hear from them soon.