No internet connection
  1. Home
  2. Technical Support

Can't change anything on my 3 tinypilots without risk of failure

By @NanNinja
    2024-04-05 01:53:52.469Z2024-04-05 03:09:08.487Zassigned to
    • @david

I have three tinypilots. When I tried getting SSH access to make sure I can troubleshoot any problems from afar. It seemed to break all of them in different ways. Can you remote in and help? The reliability has really got me down especially with this upcoming trip I have.

changing any one thing can lead to the following issues, the worst and most common one being that it just becomes unreachable

1. completely unreachable
    2. Error: 'TinyPilot is Not Running'
    3. Error: 400 Bad Request: The CSRF session token is missing.
    4. TypeError: Failed to fetch
    5. Can’t click on the screen (with all cables connected)
    6. Screen becomes super small
    7. Cant ever actually use the webui to restart the device

I would reimage, reSSH, and reTailscale but even by the time I get to the end there it has an issue and I need to reimage it again.

I feel as though the realm of possibilities of what I can try to fix this is pretty low since it's as though the more I try the more it starts to fail but maybe I'm wrong.

Is there sd card possibly getting more and more corrupted?

Could I image a flash drive instead and have it boot from that, maybe it would be more stable?

So far besides re imaging the devices, the only real interface I have to trouble shoot is unplugging it and then plugging it back in again, since ssh is not available until I turn that on using the UI

Solved in post #2, click to view
    • 3 replies
    1. David @david2024-04-05 14:25:50.089Z

Hi @NanNinja, I'm sorry you're running into these issues with your TinyPilot devices.

Is there sd card possibly getting more and more corrupted?

Depending on the age of the microSD card and the amount of use its had, there's the possibility that it's near the end of its usable life.

Could I image a flash drive instead and have it boot from that, maybe it would be more stable?

We have a guide on how to boot from a USB drive. A USB drive may be a more reliable alternative.

To address your issues, can we try to get a single one of your TinyPilot devices up and running remotely?

My suggestion here would be to replace the microSD card (or try a USB drive to boot from) and then follow these steps:

1. Flash the new drive with the latest version of TinyPilot.
      2. Access TinyPilot's web interface.
      3. Enable SSH.
      4. Confirm that TinyPilot is working as expected locally with a target machine.
      5. SSH into the TinyPilot.
      6. Install Tailscale.
      7. Confirm that your TinyPilot works as expected over the Tailscale network.
      8. Turn on TinyPilot's read-only filesystem.

TinyPilot's read-only filesystem will reduce the amount of write activity on the microSD card, extending the lifetime of the card and reduce the risk of filesystem corruption.

Can you try running through those steps and let me know how it goes? If you run into any issues during the process, can you pause and let me know what's happening so we can address them when they appear?

ReplySolution
      1. N
        In reply toNanNinja:
        @NanNinja
          2024-04-08 12:11:19.909Z

Hello, thanks. Yes! I had switched that on and so far (3 days) its a complete 180. Havent had to worry about not being able to connect. Im optimistic it will last, but I guess we will see!

1. David @david2024-04-08 14:09:08.752Z

You're welcome - thanks for the update! I'm glad everything is working for you now.

Please feel free to reach out again if you run into any issues.